Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cloudy eye  (Read 2133 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Cloudy eye
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:12:26 pm »
One of my goats got a bump to the head, I think a bit of butting with another girl which resulted in her stumpy bit of horn coming off and next day around her eye was swollen. I bathed it as there was some discharge but it didn't improve so got some eye ointment from vet.

Although the eye appears to be opening a bit more and looks less swollen, when I separate the lids there seems to be a film across eye. Originally I thought it was the cream but now I am worried it might be more serious. Should I give some amoxicillin or will this not help eye problems? It would happen over bank holiday!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Cloudy eye
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:01:54 am »
I think if it is the result of a fight it is most likely just sore. I would bathe the eye in warm camomile or something soothing, not too hot of course and see how it goes.

All my goatlings have sore bits on the tops of their heads from butting each other, they look like a bunch of texel tups at the moment...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:14:22 am »
Hi
We had a sheep which had film across the eye and I bathed her eye 2-3 times daily with lemon juice diluted into water, the film did clear off.
Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:25 pm »
probably no more than superficial bruising as a result of a bang on the head.    I would expect it to clear up within a fortnight or so...................the eye is very delicate tissue so tends to get problems.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:28:26 pm »
I hope so. There seems to be a film across the eye but no discharge now and it's opening a bit more. She seems to be getting bullied a bit.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:53:16 pm »
If I have an eye problem as described I use an eye ointement from the vet which I think is called orbenin or something like that - clears it upa treat.  It has antiobiotics in.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:18 am »
I would watch it carefully, one of my goats had a film over her eye as you describe, and it was infected. She had to have eye ointment, and in fact the vet was concerned she might lose some of the sight in that eye.

Beth

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »
Well I have given two lots of Terramycin LA on advice of vet and ointment. The eye is not runny and now open but it still has a film over and very pink all round. Might be bruising coming out. She seems a bit happier I just hope she doesn't loss the sight.

I am trying to sell my little anglo cross which I adore but as she has horns they get in the way and knock everyone round the head as she turns.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:44:56 pm »
I think it is usually a good idea not to mix horned and non-horned goats, just takes one risk factor (which usually also carries a hefty vet bill) out of the equation...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS