Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my new babies  (Read 5573 times)

MrsWoolsack

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Orkney
Re: my new babies
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 07:33:33 am »
Coming in here to wave, "Hi"

I too love my Borerays.  Very much hoping to get some ewe lambs this year and still not giving up hope of being able to find a Boreray ewe for sale in north Scotland that I can tup this year.  Boris in my avatar produced 2 gorgeous girls lambs with a Shetland ewe.

I've mostly wethers since I'm keeping them for fleece - I'll be rooing those that shed and hand shearing those that don't.  The undercoat is divine - when I collected all the fleeces for the Boreray project and we realised just how special the undercoat was I hand separated around 12kg of it (that's the undercoat weight......) while Natural Fibre Company were experimenting with a way to do it in the mill and saved me from having to get the last 8kg done by hand.  They sell the undercoat as a laceweight yarn, blended with Soay and sometimes a bit of very fine Shetland.

The aran weight yarn they spun from the whole fleeces is actually very nice indeed.  Fantastic definition for textured stitches and cables.  Not a 'next-to-skin' yarn but people knitted a variety of things.  There was a limit on how much anyone could buy because the demand was so great from around the world.

Natural Fibre Company is always interested in buying more Boreray fleece - they are a registered Organic mill though so you can't have used pour on fly treatment in the 2 or 3 months prior to shearing/rooing - not sure of the exact withdrawl period.

Yes, it is a fleece in demand from hand spinners, but some spinners are pretty picky about the quality of their fleece - if you're not sure what makes a good hand spinning fleece then there are some links and info on this page http://www.woolsack.org/AssessFleece
Jane

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: my new babies
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 08:55:43 am »
Love the pic Mrs Woolsack, your ewe has a lovely colour and markings  :love:
Good to meet a fellow Boreray fan  :thumbsup: Interesting what you said about the fleece. :thinking:
Still waiting for the last Boreray ewe to lamb   ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS