Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old Goat  (Read 2155 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Old Goat
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:45:54 pm »
Hi, anyone got any idea what l can give one of my old goaties ? Shes feeling her age (12)
Any thoughts what to give her to releive the aches and pains  :thinking:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Old Goat
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:27:38 pm »
Willow contains a natural aspirin, so lots of that may just make her feel better. Haven't thought about it yet in more detail, as none of mine is looking as if she needs it (yet).

Is she still milking?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:46:24 pm »
Not milking, we have plenty of willow l grow it for them. Will cut some down for her, many thanks  :thumbsup:

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:41:50 pm »
Hi I don't know whether it would work but Battles embrocation it is for use on all livestock says it is for application to minor soft swellings, strains and sprains to tendon and muscles, my goats are young so have not used it on them but my old man has a few aches and pains and has been using it on his joints for years and it does ease his old bones!!  It does stink of ammonia when wet but odourless when dry, worth a try maybe.  Get it from mole valley or similar about £5 - £6 for 500ml bottle

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:38:04 am »
Thanks Trixie  :thumbsup:

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:34:46 pm »
Have no experience in goats, but have gone through the same thing with aged sheep.  Tried herbal supplements which I don't think helped, much as I wanted them too.  Also tried Bute which did help for a while but was difficult to get into her - she managed to eat all her coarse mix and leave the powder behind.  Ended up core-ing an apple, tipping the Bute in and putting the core back in.  Fiddly and time consuming.  It doesn't dissolve well in water so syringing down her throat wasn't much fun either.  Then moved on to syringing dispersible aspirin which I do think helped.  Problem there is we have large sheep so the dose was so big that it was nigh on impossible to buy enough aspirin.  Each shop will only sell one packet!  Maybe the willow is a good place to start.
With our last arthritic girl we went straight for Metacam and that did help her.  It's not licensed for sheep, can have side effects from continued use and is awfully expensive! 
Other things that helped - we put her and a friend in a stable overnight on a comfy straw bed to keep the damp away from her unless it was a nice warm night, and we had a coat made for her - like a horse rug with fleece on the inside and waterproof on the outside.
I hope this helps.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:58:42 am »
on a comfy straw bed to keep the damp away
This reminded me I bought some foam mattresses for my lot, look on ebay for 'eva' stable mats, so far they are great, and I put one in the back of the van when I take them to the vet etc, giving better foothold on the floor, and comfy and warm in the goat pens (and easy on the knees if I kneel down).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS