Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ivermectin- best treatment??  (Read 3034 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Ivermectin- best treatment??
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:12:45 pm »
I saw a greyish looking mite on one of my buff orpington's eggs today, looked like a northern fowl mite?? Would the best way to get rid of these be to treat them with ivermectin? I had it before with buff orpingtons, probably because their feathers are so thick?? I understand it will treat all internal and external parasites? Also what type do I buy, the stuff prescribed for large parrots/pigeons.
Thanks
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Ivermectin- best treatment??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:33:00 pm »
ivermectin is not licensed for poultry in the UK, rightly or wrongly. Anyone on here that advises you use it without getting it from the vet and going by their dosing and egg withdrawal recommendations could get into trouble-as could the forum owners. sorry to be a killjoy but if you go on any of the other poultry forums they will tell you the same.
http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/ivermectin-for-worms-lice-mites

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:43:50 pm »
Unless you have very good eyesight WoodlandsDevon, you are unlikely to see Northern Fowl Mite, because they are really tiny. I have used a magnifying glass to see them. They live in colonies under the skin of the chickens, usually around the vent and hackles. What I think you may have seen is an adult red mite, which is dark grey even after feeding -I was squashing them this morning. Not sure Ivermectin will kill red mite and I have never heard of it used for that. It may keep them off the chickens for a while but they will still be in the coop, waiting until it is safe to feed. There is an egg withdrawal period of 14'ish days usually advised on Ivermectin I have heard -but we don't use it at all so haven't actually had a vet recommendation.

If it is NFM I would treat it with Frontline spray at the rate of 1.5mL per Kg bodyweight absolute maximum. I have had 100% success with it in a single application with no need to wash scabs off or anything. Vet supplied only though. I have heard reports of unsuccessful treatment using Ivermectin on NFM.

Of course it may be a lone louse or some other totally harmless creature and until the exact pest is identified, if any pest at all, I would do nothing.

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:07 pm »
Thank you both. I didn't know all that but it's very useful, so thanks. 
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS