Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Washing machine recommendations please  (Read 9305 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Washing machine recommendations please
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 10:46:18 am »
Get one over the internet - way cheaper than from any high street shop and they deliver to your house normally next day. We have a Bosch Maxx, the older version - bought in 2000, and other than having it'd brushes replaced a few times it'd been working great. Only problem - no half-load option. But great for a family load!

OH replaces the brushes so no maintenance cost really... :thumbsup:

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 06:16:44 pm »
Ours is a mere Beko (A+ 7kg load capacity), but we've had it for a few years now and I can't fault it. I even risked the handwash cycle which I'd not used before recently for once of OHs big wool jumpers - it's so big, thick and heavy (and that's when it's dry!) that I can barely lift it when it's wet and he wouldn't do it. Perfect - it didn't shrink one bit, though he'd only have had himself to blame if it had! ;)

Try Appliances Online - we just treated ourselves to a dishwasher at last; best prices I found on the net and great customer service. We could have had next day delivery, but I opted for a few days later when they were delivering something else in the area (not seen that before, how sensible!) so could also feel smug about not adding much to the company's carbon footprint for our delivery.
http://ao.com/

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 09:51:25 pm »
Bosch. We're on our second one now. The old one was so good that everyone in our family ended up with one. When we moved here the previous owners had left their machine behind as part of the sale. We used it for a week, and then had to switch to our much loved Bosch.

Beth

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 03:43:55 pm »
We've just bought a Bosch Avantixx 7. Very quiet and very economical, A+++ rated. Only a maximum 7Kg unit, which is plenty for two, but it senses the amount of water required for the actual load. We run it at night on the built in timer and it has never woken us up, or our pet cockerel (which is pretty important as he is noisy).

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 10:14:00 pm »
Don't know anything about kinds of washing machines but I suppose you will be wanting one that takes bionic washing powder.   :thumbsup:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 07:24:11 am »
I agree with Steph Hen - ISE is the way to go. Brilliant company, fantastic products. It doesn't have to be German to be good... ;)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 08:48:32 am »
Don't know anything about kinds of washing machines but I suppose you will be wanting one that takes bionic washing powder.   :thumbsup:

Very good Bigchicken  :roflanim:

Well, despite all the recommendations I went with my trusted Hotpoint again. The one I wanted, also with a weight sensor so that it can measure the amount of water required, is currently on offer. I could buy it 4 times over for the price of a Miele.

It's being delivered on Tuesday  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 09:04:28 am »
I agree with Steph Hen - ISE is the way to go. Brilliant company, fantastic products. It doesn't have to be German to be good... ;)

You're the first person who's even heard of them!  :)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 06:26:17 pm »

You're the first person who's even heard of them!  :)

Have had mine for about 8 years now - still working great! All the others I had before break down after about 3-5 years, usually something in the electronics, and it would cost a fortune (i.e. not worth it) to get repaired. I like their philosophy - they tell you not to buy one of theirs if your old one is still working fine, because that is more economical and better for the environment. But when at last your old one does die - well, then it should be one of theirs. I fully agree.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 10:02:01 am »
Thanks everyone. Lots of food for thought here. I notice no one mentions Hoover. My current machine is a Hoover. I have had it for nearly 14 years.
I too was a Hoover devotee and had one for donkeys years but when at last it finally gave up the ghost after OH left a six inch nail in his trousers which went thro the drum ::)  the man in the shop said that Hoover as such no longer existed it name had been bought by another firm so they weren't really Hoover's anymore and were in his opinion total rubbish. I too now have a Bosch and can't fault it. Now tumble dryers.............on average i get a new one every 3yrs... >:( , cheaper to buy a new one than get them repaired, you name the make i've had it! On my second Hotpoint but only because the lcoal lec shop (Pearson in Stokesley)did me a deal, lets see how long it lasts!
Mandy :pig:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 08:12:33 pm »
You should have gone for 'stream and brush' , they never go wrong , are easy to use , very quiet and the brush lasts about 10 years and costs £2 , the stream is free and so far has lasted 20 years + !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 10:37:04 pm »
Ah but what's its spin speed?

We like Hotpoint but, due to OH being blind, have to go for one that he can operate. So many of them (and other electrical appliances) are touch pad nowadays and he needs a knob that he can turn and feel it click onto each setting. I know I could set it but that takes his independence away. Our current machine is a Curry's cheapo and it does a good job. We didn't even pay Curry's prices as we bought it from a market stall that sells shop soiled electrical goods. This one has a tiny scratch on the side where it doesn't even show. Our dishwasher came from the same place.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS