Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: signs of calving!!!!!  (Read 15732 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
signs of calving!!!!!
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:33:51 pm »
Any experienced calvers still up and not in the land of nod????  Just took dogs out for last pee, and to check sheep and cows, jersey heifer not due for 2 weeks, fully bagged up, vulva huge and red, and just seen a 12" long mucus string hanging out of her!!!! EEEEEEKKK!  please tell me she still has a few days to go!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: signs of calving!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:57:52 am »
Mucus in the weeks before calving is quite normal and not necessarily an indication of imminent calving.

The three early signs I find most useful with my girls are, in order of usefulness:
  • Slackening of pelvic ligaments
  • 'Springing'
  • Restlessness

To be tuned into the slackening of her pelvic ligaments, I start feeling the gap between the spine and the pin bones (either side of the tail head) around about two weeks before she's due.  The gap will get much larger - large enough for your whole fist - when she's within 48 hours of calving (or less!).  You can also, at that time, feel that the ligament at the front of that gap has completely slackened; it's very very firm now, at two weeks to go, but in the 12-48 hours before calving it's like it's completely disappeared and there's only skin there.

'Springing' is when the udder gets really full and turgid.  The teats will look full and will be pointing outwards - think of blowing up a rubber glove to nearly bursting point!   :D

Restlessness, when the pelvic ligaments have slackened and the udder is springing, is generally a sign that labour will be starting within a couple of hours.  Hillie sweats up too, but this is less noticeable with Plenty.

Finally, the tail will be held out from the body and the back will be arched.  That's when I get the straw bale to sit on and settle down ;)

Once you've had one calving you will be much more comfortable with your cow's signs and timings.  But the first time, if your girl is like mine, you'll have several nights when you think she seems slackened and springing, but nothing will happen.  Once she's produced, you'll know what she feels like when she's fully slackened, and what her udder looks like when it's springing - so it's less nerve-wracking the second time and you'll have less nights when you got up to check in the small hours, only to find her contentedly cudding, or filling her face with nice hay  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:37:44 pm »
Sally, regarding adding on a calf, I have got a heifer bull calf at the ready, local jersey herd calve all year round and said to ring them and they would have something for me if needed. Now all I need to know is what to look out for regarding milk supply and how to spot if she is overproducing!!  Sorry, total novice here!! Also, I have got Daisy in my home paddock right outside my house so i can spy on her from my bedroom window.  If I have to get an adoptee in, how do you go about adopting them on? I am intending to calve outside as weather is lovely here in hampshire and she is settled with her 3 friends in the paddock.  Would I need to get her in a stable to put new calf on? She is halter trained but i have no idea how easy she will be to move about with a new calf at foot.  So sorry for all the questions!!!  Teats are now vertical and filling so I am nervously watching her!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:35:16 am »
It's a tricky one, trish.  It's easiest to get the second calf on if you do it straight away; the longer she's had just her own calf the more she's reinforced the bond and the 'count to one' ;).  With Hillie's first calf I added the second the very next day; with Plenty the timing was less lucky and it was a week or so before I got another calf for her.  It took her a lot longer to settle to having the two.

To get the calf on, you will probably have to tie her up with some cake at first.  (Seems counterintuitive to be caking when you are worried about excess milk!  but it's just for a while, and you can use a 16% mix, bulked up with mollichaff or alfalfa or something to create a longer eating experience ;))  Bring her own calf round to the suckling position so she can see and smell it - if it will suckle, so much the better of course - then latch the foster on behind.  It's best to teach the foster to come from behind to the rear teats, then it will soon learn to slip in and sneak a drink when she's suckling her own calf, and she'll notice less.

I've always had my girls inside for calving, in a large well-strawed pen, and I just bring the foster calf into the pen with mum and her own calf and keep them all together.  Then twice a day, mum to where she can be tied and caked, get the foster on for a suck.  Take a litre of milk in the morning to be able to offer the foster a midday drink without tying mum up again - you may find you don't need this and it's pinching enough, or is managing well enough on two feeds.

It does need to be a large pen to do it this way, because mum will probably chase the foster calf away quite a bit at first.  It needs to be able to skip out of her way and not get rammed against a wall or pen side ;).  Telling mum off when she does this does have an effect with mine, they pretty quickly stop being physically aggressive and settle for shaking their heads at it ;)

Usually within a week I have spied the foster suckling away while she's feeding her own calf while they're all loose in the pen.  Once that's happened twice I will let them all go out for the day as a family.  As long as foster calf stays with her, and is clearly getting fed, you can then keep them outside and dispense with the tied-up feed.

I dehorn my Jerseys - not sure I'd leave a new foster calf alone in a pen with a new mother if she still had her horns  :thinking:

So all of which said, I'm not sure how to answer your question about how to tell if she needs another calf to use up all the milk.  The first three or four days the bag will be humungous and very taut anyway,  and her own calf drinking very little yet, so if you haven't a foster on you will probably need to handmilk a bit off to ease the tension.  But don't take litres and litres the first few days; firstly the more you take the more you stimulate production, which is not what you want in your situation, and also she may be prone to milk fever in the early days so you don't want to overload her. 

Just an aside - as this is a heifer, I would definitely be training her to be handmilked this first time.  She may need to be handmilked in future lactations, so it's best to get her used to that right away. ;)

So I guess if you want to see if she can manage with only her own calf before getting a foster...  :thinking:  Well, I think I would teach her a routine where she gets tied up and gets a bit of cake twice a day anyway, and handmilk a little off each time.  If after say five or six days you are finding she still has a big taut udder when you come to handmilk your little bit off, then it would indicate to me that she is overproducing.  Now you can get a foster calf in, she is already used to fiddling about going on down there while she is tied up and eating cake, so the addition of the foster behind will be less of a shock.  In introducing the foster after a week you may have more difficulty getting her to allow it to suckle while they're all loose, so you may need to keep the calf in for the first week, feeding it twice a day on the cow and a midday bottle or bucket feed if it needs it.  By that time it should smell of her and she should be more accepting of it being around so you could try them all loose together.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:06:21 am »
Sally you are a star!!  Fantastic instructions put in understandable english!!  Thank you so much!  Will follow your instructions to the letter.  I dont have a barn big enough to house her and a calve, largest pen is 12' x 14', but i do have a 12' x 12' shelter with a large coral attached which is next to the paddock all 4 girls are in at the moment.  Had aimed to move her in there prior or after calving.  I have a good tie up area there to feed and milk her from.  All my jerseys are de-horned.  Will start the hand milking a small amount everyday to get her used to handmilking.  Love my jerseys to bits, but now wish they were less prolific milk producers!!  Obviously will be easier in the long run to spend a week or so working with an add-on calf rather than having to milk her twice a day all summer!  Sorry for all the questions, there will be more!!! x

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 11:22:50 am »
we are waiting for a calf just now. bagged up and muscles have slackened - don't think she will be tooo long.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »
OMG, lambing is so easy compared to the waiting for your first calf!!!  4 days to go till AI date of birth.  Daisy is bagged up, teats are engorged, can fit a fist between her tail and pin bones.  She has taken herself off to the delivery suite (large shelter with small paddock) adjacent to the field with her 3 girlfriends, so have shut the gate and kept them separate now.  Delilah made a right fuss about being separated from her best mate but has settled down now.  Only problem is that Daisy has decided the shelter is far nicer to lie in on a comfy straw bed than a grass paddock and spends all day in there where i cant see her, before i could just look out of the window!!  Spend all day rushing back to the house from all corners of the farm, or out from the house, just to check she is ok!!  calf pen ready to put up in her shelter for adoptee calf to be brought in.  Now its just playing the waiting game!!  :fc:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:43:34 pm »
 :fc: too,  ;D

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 04:58:40 pm »
our heifer calf was born on sunday, 48 hrs after a mucus plug came away. the cows body changed shape over the last 2 weeks and she had a good udder of milk though soft to touch.
we were outside all day and only went inside for an hour and came out to find the calf about 10 mins old.
our first heifer.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:18:41 pm »
Congratulations shygirl!  Pictures are of course obligatory...  :eyelashes:

And  :fc: you get your calf soon, trish.farm.  Looking forward to hearing all about it - and seeing pics :)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 06:21:47 pm »
congratulations on your baby heifer!!!  Pictures please!! Did you calve indoors or out?? Dont think i can stand much more of a wait, she has had a mucus string coming out for a week now!  Udder fit to burst!   ???

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 07:52:29 pm »
she calved outside it was mild though a bit breezy but the calf made a fine bed in the hay and snuggled up to her mum. mum is very happy.
the rest of the herd were in the field next door and they all got very excited and came over to see the new calf, they aren't daft. it was lovely to watch, even the bull was calling to her.  :love:
I cant work out how to get photos off my new phone so photos may take a while. she was scanned for a march calf so not too far off.
its the first time we have had a heifer so I guess we will have to sell her as we have a bull here. we have called her Charisma.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 01:54:29 pm »
Now have a thick white almost transparent mucus coming out of her, very different to the string of mucus we have had for the last 10 days.  Very restless today.  Shes not the only one restless!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 02:07:48 pm »
 :excited: :excited: :excited: :fc:

Will keep checking for news! 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »
suspense........
good luck  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS