Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 4208 times)

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Hi
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:42:11 pm »
Hi all TAS'ers

Just a quick intro as I plough through the forum. Currently not a smallholder.....yet.....

Waiting for contracts to be exchanged.

At the moment we keep bee's, have our allotment and a kitchen garden. So it will be nice to combine all three on to the same plot of land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:55:21 pm »
Hi sss. I think keeping bees, having an allotment and a kitchen garden qualifies you as a smallholder. It will be good to have it all together though. Whereabouts are you moving to? I am in Shropshire.

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:09:35 pm »
We will be moving from Herts to Cambs. Land is far too pricey in Herts so moving away from London. We do like Shropshire but its too close to the mother in law (Ludlow).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:36:17 pm »
Isn't land expensive in Cambs? My son's in laws live there (in the city) and property costs a fortune.

I see your point with the MIL being in Ludlow. I'm in Telford so the other side.

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:48:29 pm »
Yes you are correct land is still expensive in Cambs  :'(  but cheaper than Herts and prices are creeping up.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:54:31 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:27:36 pm »
Hello and welcome I am a wannabeeeee.   :)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 01:59:53 pm »
Hi from the Scottish Borders. Whereabouts in Cambs? Lived round there a lot before I migrated north!
Best of luck to you with your smallholding, bet you're excited  :excited:

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 11:38:26 am »
It is near Ely in Cambs.

So a quick update, the cats have moved in and are happy enough, they get on better here than Herts. I suspect more due to the fact that there is more outdoor space and less cats.  Despite trying to keep them in to become settled they wanted outside near enough straight away. I just need them to eat more mice  :fc:

The bee's have settled in as well, despite a small problem when a queen was lost. I have ordered more hives to get the numbers up over the next few years.

The allotment area has been cleared and we found loads of potatoes so happy days. Cleared the fruit cage of weeds and found gooseberries, blackcurrants and redcurrants. Found the asparagus beds in the weeds. So a few nice surprises there.  We won't have it properly up and running till next year.

The chicken sheds are being cleared out so they can be resurrected.

The house has had new windows which has made an unbelievable difference from '70s windows.

Log burner in.

stables painted

The campervan has been relocated from storage to the yard which saves quite a lot of money and more practical. Although not a lot of use is anticipated until we get a grip on the holding.

So all in all, its been a busy few months, but nice to see the transformations as they happen.

As for Ely, it is a nice area, considering we knew no one here or even visited the area apart from visiting the house all a bit of a gamble. Although I must get round to visiting the Cathedral.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:35:33 am »
Hi from Caithness,  thats you living the dream, enjoy !  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 09:10:37 am »
Although I must get round to visiting the Cathedral.

We've been here four years and visited Glamis Castle (about 10 miles away) two weeks ago  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS