Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Monmouthshire  (Read 2022 times)

dmstraker

• Joined Mar 2014
Hello from Monmouthshire
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:10:54 pm »
Hello folks. Eleri and I have returned to near my home town of Abergavenny after nearly thirty years living under trees in the London hinterland (don't miss that commute!). I mention the trees (150 foot pines) because very little would grow underneath them. Now we've got 3 acres of grassy meadow and about an acre of garden. And a kind of retirement that doesn't involve much sitting down.

We've been here a year, and in that time we've done lots on the house. We've also done a bit of growing, swapped meadow hay for enough wood for the winter and laid a fair amount of plastic down for mulching. We've bought some seeds from Real Seed Company and read Charles Dowding's book on no-dig gardening and want to get more serious about this land stuff.

Dave and Eleri Straker

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
Re: Hello from Monmouthshire
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:17 pm »
Hello & Welcome  :wave: 

after nearly thirty years living under trees in the London hinterland (don't miss that commute!).

We don't commute either, life is so much better with out a commute ;D 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:25:15 am »
 :wave: and welcome from  :sunshine: Shropshire. Where you are now sounds much better than where you were. That area of Wales is beautiful. I stayed in Ross on Wye many years ago and have never forgotten ho lovely the area is.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carmarthenshire  :wave:

We'd been in West Berkshire for years (though luckily in the country with room for chickens, a big veggie patch and orchard) so know how you feel - the green spaces and vistas are wonderful, we think we are in heaven! We've been here for 9 months now so this is our first real growing season here - looking forward to it no end (now we can get out without fear of being washed away by rain)... we just have to create the garden!!

Look forward to hearing how things progress in your patch.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:13:56 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:03:19 pm »
And hi from the Scottish Borders to you both.  Smell that earth guys!  And what about a bit of livestock then, rare breeds I hear you say?  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:24:10 pm »
Croeso nol! If you need any advice, just shout. I'm only in Caerphilly, and I also teach at Kate Humble's farm near Monmouth. Best of luck. Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS