Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to tempt ewe to eat?  (Read 12681 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: How to tempt ewe to eat?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 05:09:54 pm »
Lots of great advice that makes you grateful for this website  :thumbsup:  we also use a turkey baster rather than a syringe - you can get it down further and it has quite a wide opening at the end so semi-solids can go through it too.

Great news, hope she's fine tomorrow  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »
Yet another use for a turkey baster !  (I use mine for applying dye to fibre; the turkey gets basted using a big 50ml medical syringe... :-J)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:57:24 pm »
Lakeland sell a stainless steel turkey baster, should stand up to the back molars better than a plastic one. I think that syringe I had was made for drenching, I cadged it from the man at the farm supplies shop. It held about 200 ml and had a nozzle just like a turkey baster but had a proper plunger. It was a bit squashed and shredded by the time I had fed that ewe for a couple of days so had to be discarded.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 11:45:43 pm »
Glad shes lambed, hopefully she'll improve now.  If you want to syringe or tube feed her have a chat to your local horse feed merchant.  There are now a lot of ready soak fibre feeds for old horses that would be ideal, or grass nuts

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 09:31:45 pm »
Thanks for all the advice .... would never have considered a turkey baster for drenching!  The ewe is a little better - drinking well, has been munching on straw which is, I suppose, better than nothing and is much brighter and fussing over her lambs.  Still not interested in meal.  Sadly, I think we're going to lose one of her lambs - he has become more and more dopey since birth, not in the least lively.  He was blowing a bit this morning so I gave him Pen & Strep and Combivit but he really is in bad shape and terribly weak this evening.  I don't think there is much else I can do.  Am really disappointed - it's been a bad 24 hours.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 10:11:47 pm »
Eating straw is good  :thumbsup:, sounds like she is coming round  :relief:

Sorry your one lamb is failing -  :fc: the other one makes it.

Concentrate on the positives, don't get down about the ones you can't save.  You did your best, they won't all live.   :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS