Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs - advice needed for wonky chick please  (Read 10406 times)

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Hatching eggs - advice needed for wonky chick please
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »
Yay! Our first hatching eggs are arriving early next week! We are having 6 Norfolk Greys from a breeder in Norfolk, six CCL and six gold laced Wyandottes both from Ebay so keep fingers crossed they all survive the post. I would have preferred not to use Ebay and source the last two from recommended breeders as with the Norfolks but OH couldn't wait and jumped the gun! He is dangerous with Ebay in his lunchbreak!

Helen
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:13:01 pm by waddy »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:59 pm »
 Good luck with them and keep us informed. Up to now we have agreed not to hatch this year  :innocent:
It will be lovely to see the arrivals of other people's hatchings  :excited:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:35 am »
Large silkies and silver lace wyndotts for the spring sale dingwall in 3 weeks .And this will be the last we hatch as all stock is being sold .Tacking time out dad wont be around soon.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:22:38 pm »
Great piccie of chicks VF. 

:hug:  sorry to hear about your dad.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:30:23 am »
The first egg has pipped! I keep having to go and look every few minutes! It is a gold laced Wyandotte. Of the 18 eggs two of the Legbars candled clear; one of the Norfolks clear and one stopped developing after a week. All the rest including all the Wyandottes appeared to develop normally. The smallest eggs have lost a bit too much weight and the largest (the Wyandottes) not enough so I have been in a bit of a dilemma with the humidity. I am keeping my fingers crossed and prepared to help if it appear necessary. So exited! our first chickens! I know it would have been easier to buy POL but I have wanted to do this for more years than I care to remember, and now we have space it was first on the list for livestock.

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Helen

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:17:25 am »
Good luck little chicks  :)  :fc:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:19:25 pm »
Hi Waddy. Sounds like you bought well with the Wyandotte eggs. We have some Gold Laced and very strong birds our Wyandottes are -4 years old now. It can be a bit awkward hatching different breeds because of differences in shell porosity. Hopefully yours have lost enough fluid to give them the room to manoeuvre for pipping. Best of luck with them.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 03:49:37 pm »
 :excited: nearly as exited as you! awaiting updates with baited breath. Good luck  :fc:
Heather

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:49 pm »
Hows the incy looking  :excited: any more pipped?

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 07:36:31 pm »
Just found a Norfolk pipping round the back hiding where it is hard to see. I have been on my knees peering at them every few minutes.

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Helen

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 08:46:49 pm »
Which seller did y get the legbars from? I've never found any on ebay that look right. Most have too much gold- boys too much colour and girls gold not pale cream neck hackels and some didn't even have yellow legs! so don't have two copies of the cream gene so not cream legbars
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: Hatching eggs update; WE HAVE CHEEPS!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:46:55 am »
The two that pipped yesterday are out and cheeping. Another has pipped. Hoping for more today.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Helen

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:37:20 am »
Which seller did y get the legbars from? I've never found any on ebay that look right. Most have too much gold- boys too much colour and girls gold not pale cream neck hackels and some didn't even have yellow legs! so don't have two copies of the cream gene so not cream legbars

http://www.cream-legbar.com/

Some of the best CLB's around. I haven't bought eggs from her but might do this year if we get a broody or 2. There is a good facebook group as well if you on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/332175963534766/

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:33:06 pm »
Yes Emily's birds are fab! Am on that page.  Am waiting on some hatching eggs from a lady I sold a trio from Bonnies lines.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 09:28:52 pm »
Now up to 4 Wyandottes and another pipping; two legbars and another pipping and two Norfolks. We will see how the CCl's measure up when they feather though the egg colour was nice. Thanks for the tip on the good legbars Stereo. I will need unrelated stock for breeding and will contact Emily. The Wyandotte cock that fathered these chicks was said to have been placed third in the fed show. The eggs were very big and the chicks look good and strong. The breeder of the Norfolks was recommended by the lady that was featured in Country Smallholding a couple of months ago. She had a waiting list for her own eggs at the time (not surprisingly - the birds looked great). I will get some from her next time. I understand it may be hard to get unrelated Norfolks but she said enough generations separated hers from the ones I bought. They are still pipping and hatching after 23 days. We won't be as quick to worry next time if they choose to come out in their own time and not by the book. Watching them is fascinating and addictive. Far more interesting than the television! Just off to check them again.

Helen

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS