Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lye  (Read 7430 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Lye
« on: February 01, 2014, 11:54:44 am »
can someone tell me where i can buy Lye please.
after a year of using a goats milk melt'n'pour and and seeing my daughters eczema disappear, it has now returned. whether the ingredients have changed in the base i was using, im not sure, but its about time we started to make our own as im been thinking about it for years.
so where do i buy the lye? is it the chemist? 
thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Lye
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:27:49 pm »
Lye is caustic soda, you can sometimes get small bottles in DIY shops (just check it's pure and not mixed with other nasties) failing that any of the online soap places or eBay sell it - it might be listed as sodium hydroxide. Use with care, safety goggles, apron and long rubber gloves as a minimum  ;)
Good luck & keep us posted  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:12:42 pm »
thanks, will look in b&q tomorrow...im sure il be back for advice too once i have collected everything i need.
is there a no-fool recipe for a beginner soap maker/eczema sufferer? i will have to buy all the ingredients this time so it doesnt matter if its lard or milk based at this first attempt.

i thought id use this recipe as its so simple.but may change the coconut oil to lard.
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/how-to/craft/how-to-make-soap

how do i find out if certain ingredients are ok for eczema sufferers or is it trial and error?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:54:40 pm by shygirl »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:49:30 am »
You don't really need anything else other than fat (lard, oil) and a lye solution. The add some lavender or other essential oil (only a few drops), and hey presto, soap.

Boots sell caustic soda too, as will most chemists.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:29:16 am »
Countrywide sell it in huge tubs (that's where I get mine now as we make so much each week its more cost effective)

Theres lots of essential oils that are reputed to help with eczema but my best seller for customers who do suffer with their skin, or if my daughters have a flare up, is the plain soap with nothing else in.

Remember its also worth checking that shampoos etc are not containing irritants eg SLS as if your daughter is washign her hair (especially in the shower where it can run down her skin) there's not much point avoiding harsh soaps if the shampoo is causing similar issues.   SLS is particularly reknowned for triggering eczema and is a hateful substance!!

As for ingredients, ebay's pretty good for small quantities but if you want larger then drop me a PM or email lisa@itsbaaathtime.com (as i'm not on here all that often these days) and I can give you some websites  :)   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:17:12 am »
Your link to the recipe looks okay but I'd use the lye calculator on brambleberry.com just to double check the quantity of lye needed if you're using lard instead of coconut - certain oils need more/less lye to 'saponify' (turn them into soap).
There's no need for either/or, you can use milk instead of water to mix your lye  ;) that gives you the double whammy  :thumbsup: Like Lisa, I find my standard lard soap works for eczema and psoriasis sufferers and as Anke says lavender essential oil is good for inflammed skin - only use about 3% in your mix.
The only issue with the recipe you link to is that it doesn't give an indication of what temp to mix your oils and lye. The way I do it (and it's not to say it's the only way) is I wait until both solutions are around 110F before mixing them. Mixing at to high/low a temp can sometimes cause problems with 'false trace' you think it's ready but it's not, and it's not til you unmould it the following day that you realise.
Karen x

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:44 am »
thanks everyone. at last i feel brave enough to try it now. iv watched the brambleberry tutorials etc and finally understand the lye calculator.

here goes  :excited: :excited:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:10:24 pm »
first batch is done  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:   and will try a milk soap tomorrow once its had time to freeze. i couldnt wait long enough :excited: :excited:
a really plain one - lard, olive oil and sunflower oil. have to remember its for eczema so refrained from adding anything else. tho it does smell very oily. morrisons didnt sell the coconut oil but im sure tesco do.

seemed to go to plan except my thermometer was a first aid so wouldnt work above 40 degrees.  :fc: the temp was ok. oh and i forgot the googles so i had to borrow my daughters swim mask  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

i think it may be addictive if it works out.

are you supposed to check the ph before use?
the caustic soda was pure but it was "concentrated" whether that just meant powder i wasnt sure, neither was the b&q lady  :innocent:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:05:59 pm by shygirl »

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:34:20 pm »
Yes, a good idea to check the ph. You can buy the wee limitus (sp?) paper strips for not much money at all, but you'll know if it's too caustic by touching it to your tongue - it'll feel 'zingy' and if you wash your hands they'll feel slimy afterwards.
Keep us posted  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:32:24 am »
Well done  :thumbsup:  coconut oil you may struggle to source unless you have an asian supermarket close by. I've never yet spotted it in a general supermarket or our wholesaler. I buy it in 12.5kg boxes from 'soaposh' online but you can buy in smaller batches from them too.
we use litmus, our soap cures 4-6 weeks but once that litmus reads 7-8 we sometimes pinch a bar and use it (if its a newbie and we're excited to use it!!)
can't wait to hear how it compares to the M&P for you!  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 10:25:09 am »
well i cut it today, probably should have waited a bit longer but i was so excited! it was almost cool to touch - it was really warm last night. was wrapped in a towel etc
i used square plastic biscuit tub as a mould though in hindsight i should maybe have gone for long rectangle rather than square shaped mould.
gel phase has kept the majority of the centre a yellow colour - just the outer edges are white. i presume itl whiten up as it dries?

iv completely no idea if this is the way it is supposed to be ?? still smells like vegetable oil tho...  :yum: :-J

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 10:27:36 am »
It may well lighten up to be un-noticeable but you may find you have a horizontal almond shape in the middle even once cured. It'll be fine  ;)   A lot of soap makers go for the  partial gel look.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 10:34:44 am »
because the mould was a 12" square all the centre ones are gelled with just a few streaks of white.

i presume coconut oil smells like coconut? will try that next time. iv worked in chipshops before so the thought of smelling like chip fat again isnt the top of my bucket list  :roflanim: :roflanim:

onwards and upwards  :excited: :excited:

should i insulate the soap or refridgerate it once its poured?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:21 pm »
To be honest, I can't smell coconut in our coconut oil!  it smells pleasant but not nice and coconutty if that makes sense?!

I refridgerate once made - freeze for half an hour OR fridge for 3 hours generally.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »
My lard soap (the plain and unscented one) doesn't smell like lard  :-\ It just smells kinda....... soapy, but maybe a pure vegetable oil one would be different  :thinking:

It should change colour as it cures and the extra moisture comes out - I've had that before with mine  ;)

I've never put mine in the fridge though - I insulate it in a polystyrene box for around 24 hours before unmoulding and cutting it.

PM me your email address if you want and I can send you info.
K x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS