Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silkie chicken died??  (Read 2915 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Silkie chicken died??
« on: December 07, 2013, 01:50:07 pm »
I came out to my chucks this morning and one hen was sitting down and fluffing herself up then we I came home 2 hours later she was dead any reasons why it happened would it be the cold??
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Silkie chicken died??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:10:29 pm »
Depends on where they are at night, what age she was, and whether she showed any signs of illness before today - could be anything i'm afraid.  :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:52:49 am »
Cold could be a contributing factor Connor. As Doganjo says the primary cause could be anything, but the cold will hit an out of condition bird first. Just keep them out of draughts in cold weather, that's really important as disturbing the feathers opens the insulation layer. If your birds are shivering on one leg they are OK. If they are motionless on two legs they have hypothermia. We've had one cock who took three days to recover -standing in the snow with both feet down is a bit of a giveaway!

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:47:33 pm »
Ok thanks all I have them in my polytunnel with a heat lamp that is on during the night!
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 11:23:38 pm »
Blimey! No, it shouldn't be cold then. Are they inside during the day as well? I hadn't even thought about using a heat lamp for adult birds - even in winter. They weren't particularly happy with deep snow last winter but did make their way through it to get to the goose shed! The change of season may have exacerbated it but not caused by cold unless she was featherless or something?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
Could just be its time Connor.

as with any animal (even us) there is a steady mortality rate right through the normal lifespan.

With a large number of animals you see it better, in large commercial flocks or even the bigger flocks kept at home we used to see anything up to 3% mortality throughout the flock life.

If you just keep a few then the number that die are minimal and a sudden death is more likely to raise questions.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS