Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This is what is happening when dogs get stolen or lost  (Read 4374 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
This is what is happening when dogs get stolen or lost
« on: September 11, 2013, 09:35:28 pm »
This is Kaseem, his journey started off in West Bromwich on Saturday 31.08.13 via a Gumtree advert for £50. He was sold to someone in Great Barr, who later sold him to someone in Dudley, that person then sold him on again but doesn't know who to? In less than 7 days, Kaseem has been in 4 homes and arrived as a stray last night 05.09.13. FFS PEOPLE STOP AND LISTEN, each time a dog enters a new home environment, they get unnerved (just like we human, changes can be stressful). It can take a few weeks before they settle and cope with new routines. If you cant give a new dog that time, then I suggest you walk away and get yourself a goldfish instead. STOP DAMAGING DOGS FOR THE SAKE OF A FEW QUID!

Kaseem is still microchipped to his former owner, who has now signed over ownership to the kennels. So Kaseem is looking for a FOREVER home.
He is 2 years old, neutered, good with other dogs but doesnt like cats, good with kids too. If there is someone out there in Facebook land that would like to offer him a life time home, please contact Stoke City Dogs Home on 01782 304130 and arrange to visit Kaseem.

Seen on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151857297215395&set=a.10150962482565395.477021.521360394&type=1&theater

He only has a few days to live. And there is a 4 year old beagle bitch in  there two in the same position.  For god's sake let's STOP breeding unnecessary dogs!!!!!  What is the point of breeding for the poor souls to go through multiple stressful hands then be killed for no reason other than they are surplus to requirements.  After seeing this I have decided not to breed again even though my puppies are always planned before mating and always sold before they are born.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: This is what is happening when dogs get stolen or lost
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:25:40 am »
This story is so like my rescue Bailey who had 4 homes before he ended up with us (through a free to a good home ad on preloved).  He was 11 months when I saw the advert and he had gone from home to home to home - no wonder the poor little chap was so unsettled.  I will never forget how that first few weeks he would just sit and look at us with a really sad look on his face, as if he was just waiting to be offloaded somewhere else. 

Two years on, and you can tell that he has settled and has actually realised he is here to stay.  He is so attached to us though and usually has to lean up against our legs if we are sat down and he is always watching us.

I am horrified by the amount of dogs on preloved that are free to a good home or on offer for a few pound and I guess that many will end up as Kaseem and my own Bailey did, just going from pillar to post in the hope that someone will eventually give them that forever home that they deserve.

There really does need to be much stricter controls on the breeding of dogs - there are many (including a neighbour of mine) that breed just for the money.  My neighbour was heard to boast how it was the quickest and easiest money she had ever made and therefore went on to breed more and more litters of Golden Retrievers from her one bitch and then kept a bitch pup and bred lots of litters from her too. 

The dogs homes are full to bursting through the thoughtlessness of people who see dogs as a disposable commodity - get fed up with it and get another.  It is totally sickening.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:54 am »
So sad.

I don't know how you stop this but it won't stop because good breeders like you don't breed any more Doganjo.   :bouquet: [size=78%] I admire your passion. [/size]

Spoke to a child the other day from a nearby farm. Asked if my Flattie was our sheepdog  :roflanim:  ..... if only  ;D  We then chatted about collies. Her nan had a 3 year old bitch (approx), 3 litters so far and expecting a 4 th ..... they think. Said she was too young when she had her first litter and now the dog keeps getting to her. Talked about the Dog Trust scheme to neuter farm dogs in Wales (free I believe). Child said well it's okay cause they say she may as well have pups cause she is no good for anything else.  :'(  They also have a GS. She has had 5 litters to date, with 12 pups in each litter. Child says proudly that's 72 pups!! My children are glancing at each other and me  :o . Sire of pups is "nasty". Has to be chained down the bottom.

Discussion with a local farmer about cats. Farmers view .... it is cruel to neuter any animal and prevent it from breeding. To breed is it's aim in life and to take that away is cruel .... full stop.

Different to the doggy discussion in a way but trying to show that IMO it is these attitudes that need to change. Can't see how good breeders stopping breeding the occasional litter for good reasons is going to help or solve the problem.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:14:34 am »
Can't see how good breeders stopping breeding the occasional litter for good reasons is going to help or solve the problem.
It will save any of mine getting into that situation!  For the last 40+ years I have kept in touch with every single one of my owners bar one.  And that is the one I worry over after seeing this - I have no earthly idea where she is - she could have been euthanised like that beagle for all I know.  So that's it - probably personal more than anything - and I advise ALL breeders, whether one off's or regular to think very carefully about their own situations.    End of an era for ABERDON as my pups have won accolades all over the world both in the show world and in the field. International Champions, Irish Champions, as well as UK winners.  it is so sad  :'( :'( But as the dragons say - I'm out!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:46:13 am »
In the Hills - that's awful!! stupid stupid people!! :rant: :rant: I wonder how many of their pups have ended up in pounds because they are temperamentaly unsound and get pts!  disgusting!
Doganjo - I've seen this story on fb - and it sadly won't be unique.
I completely understand your decision on breeding, I've just had my youngest Gordon spayed although people have asked me to have a litter from her. (I've never bred before)  I just couldn't trust someone I didn't know to have a pup that I'd brought into this world so to speak!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:06:51 pm »
There's a programme on BBC1 filmed here in Wales, not sure if it's on elsewhere, called Vets 24/7. There was a pregnant dog brought in for cesarian, they were expecting two pups, she had 7. The owners were chuffed - the pups were worth £1000 each or something ridiculous. They were saving up to buy a house of their own - lived with parents by the look of it. I'm sorry that's not a good enough reason to breed from a dog.

Yes In the hills, you can have farm dogs neutered for free through Dogs Trust, it seems even that isn't enough of an incentive for some, and you're right, it's those attitudes that need to change.
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 12:36:27 pm »
I've been brought up around dogs .... pets, showing, working, dogs coming to be trained. Never bred a litter myself and father had in all his lifetime working/showing dogs only about 3 litters of his own. Only when he had a bitch that he believed to have something "special". Otherwise he bought pups in .... sometimes when his dog had been used. So these are not my views at all but will tell how many but of course not all people think that I chat to locally.

They DO love their dogs but the dog has to pay its way just like stock.  Having pups is one way of doing that. It's natural ..... it's nature. It does the bitch "good". The pups do find homes. There is a demand. The dog has a role.

Same with the cats really, except often they don't actually go to new homes. Have been told that often the cats aren't healthy as they are too "in-bred". Was speaking to someone not long ago that was keeping brother and sister from their last litter. No thought of neutering.

These are not "stupid" people (some of them, though I know it means little, have degrees) .... they have a different way of looking at things. They don't consider themselves irresponsible at all. They see things differently.

Not saying everyone is the same but merely sharing some conversations that I have had locally in the last few weeks. They perhaps shed some light on problems.

Doganjo - I understand.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 01:34:03 pm »
There is an update on that facebook page.  He isn't in danger of destruction, nor has he been.  He will go for rehoming with beagle rescue.

Poor Kazeem (naf name for him), he must be so confused at the moment. >:(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:26:26 pm »
One of my German Shepherds, Fallon was a very good bitch and I was often asked why did I not breed from her. At one point I got as far as finding a good stud dog that may have suited but then I took a step back and thought why am I going to do this. I had bred Red Setters back in the late 70's but only for a short time as I lost both a dog and bitch to cancer. Fallon meant the world to me but then how could I be sure that her puppies would be well loved and cared for. Tanya our other shepherd came to us age 6 months old from a dog rescue group. She was a screw ball even at 6 months.I would have kept a pup but at the end of the day I decided to spay her instead. Dog Homes have enough pets in them and German Shepherds are not top of people lists of dogs they would have. At this moment in time the staffie is the dog being over bred, unwanted pups everywhere.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 04:50:07 pm »
There is an update on that facebook page.  He isn't in danger of destruction, nor has he been.  He will go for rehoming with beagle rescue.

Poor Kazeem (naf name for him), he must be so confused at the moment. >:(
Yes, I saw that - but the first report I saw said he had 4 days to live!  Beagle Rescue were not involved at that stage.  I am glad they are now helping him and the other beagle in that kennels.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 10:18:09 pm »
Someone I know from dog walking has two lurchers who were dog knapped, he thinks they were lured into a van on an industrial estate that is at the back of the field where he was walking them. He put up posters and everyone he knew was looking for them. A couple of months passed one turned up at a vets 100 miles away, its 'owner' hadn't realised it was chipped and it was returned from the back of a white van for a reward and then miraculously someone found the other one 30miles away, for a reward. Both had 'lost, their collars in this adventure and of course they had just taken a stray in. There seems to be very much a subculture where dogs are concerned.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 09:37:34 am »
 :wave:
Our lab x passed away in July and we took till last week to find the right dog (we had a great one, but his health problems just continued to increase from two minor issues to four more serious ones, so he is staying with the rescue).
I found a lovely two year old chocolate lab. She is settling well (apart from trying to play with everything that isn't nailed down!)  but I was quite shocked to see she had already been breed from (very recently as she was still quite baggy when she arrived and has reduced since).  She is very small and I think the breeding has stunted her growth.
People buy/breed these dogs thinking they will make a fortune, but end up just getting rid of it!
We will neuter her in Oct/Nov as even though I love the idea of having puppies (or owning one) I know I don't have the time to look after them or the want to add more dogs to the breeding pool!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS