Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: whats this and is it poisonous please?  (Read 3151 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
whats this and is it poisonous please?
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:44:18 am »
does anyone know what these red berry type things are and whether they are poisonous.  They grow under hedges, the leaves are not part of the plant they are just berries on a softish hollow stalk.  thank you
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: whats this and is it poisonous please?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »
thank you dark brown eggs!  just googling now to see if it could kill a sheep - we found one dead next to this plant, the sheep was well up until it was dead (not uncommon I know).
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 03:53:04 pm »
Loads of it round where I live and I kept sheep for about 20 or so years   Never noticed any problems  :-\
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »
It's cuckoo pint/lords and ladies/jack by the hedge - ie Arum maculatum.

In autumn the lower ring of (female) flowers forms a cluster of bright red berries which remain after the spathe and other leaves have withered away. These attractive red to orange berries are extremely poisonous. The berries contain oxalates of saponins which have needle-shaped crystals which irritate the skin, mouth, tongue, and throat, and result in swelling of throat, difficulty breathing, burning pain, and upset stomach. However, their acrid taste coupled with the almost immediate tingling sensation in the mouth when consumed mean that large amounts are rarely taken and serious harm is unusual. It is one of the most common causes of accidental plant poisoning based on attendance at hospital A & E departments.[3]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:53:04 pm by jaykay »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 05:31:37 pm »
They will spread readily, so I pull mine up when they start to grow in the spring.  Also if I see any berries like that I pull those too, they come out easily (wear gloves!).
If a sheep is feeling particularly stupid it might try one, or if there is no other food available.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS