Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: present for a beginner bee keeper?  (Read 4556 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
present for a beginner bee keeper?
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »
My step dad does absolutely loads to help us out now he is retired, and he is interested in starting bee keeping.  He is just at the stage of reading books at the moment, (he doesn't use the internet and doesn't have a computer).  I would like to get him a present, something related to bee keeping - any suggestions? Is there a magazine I could get him a subscription to? Or any good beginner courses (we are Scottish Borders, only 4 miles from Northumberland)?  Or maybe a bee suit, I assume he will need one even to do a course?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: present for a beginner bee keeper?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:24:17 pm »
what about a bumble bee hive? they only last a year then you can buy annual replacements in a cardboard container.
low maintenance. i saw them in a gardening brochere somewhere.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:44:42 pm »
If he is serious about giving it a go I think a bee suit would be great. They are expensive though so not sure how much you wanted to spend.
If you want something cheaper you can't go wrong with Ted Hooper's book A Guide to Bees and Honey. It's recommended by the British Beekeepers Association
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 05:45:22 pm »
I suppose you could get him subscription to the beekeepers association?  He'll get their magazine then.

I have just bought a new bee suit off Ebay (a shop rather than secondhand) and it was half the price of my previous suit and very well made - I will try and find the name for you if you are interested?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:49:50 pm by Greenerlife »

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »
How soon do you need something and how far away are you from Langefold Easycare.  I know I have some beekeeping stuff around somewhere  :innocent:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Ray Baxter

• Joined Aug 2013
  • The Scottish Borders
  • Proud to be a smallholder
    • New Mains Smallholding
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:16 pm »
Firstly - what a fantastic hobby, but should come with health warnings as it can take over life.

http://www.borderbeekeepers.com/ run courses. These were invaluable in getting me started and helping me to learn about beekeeping. Regular meets through the winter in Coldstream and a club apiary at Swinton. I have made some good friends too. There is a lot of expertise in the club and the mentoring role of folk in the club is brilliant.

Cheers, Ray

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:14:39 pm »
  Or maybe a bee suit, I assume he will need one even to do a course?

i thought u meant a onesie then, i had a cool bee stripe onesie in my head. :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 08:30:24 am »
What about a smoker?  Not too expensive and they will need one.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 07:47:15 pm »

I have just bought a new bee suit off Ebay (a shop rather than secondhand) and it was half the price of my previous suit and very well made - I will try and find the name for you if you are interested?

That would be very helpful, thanks.

Thanks also for all the other ideas - it is so hard when it is something you know absolutely nothing about!

DarkBrownEggs - I am not sure where that is, so don't know how far, sorry

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 09:36:07 pm »
The Ebay seller's ID was 1884simon - he runs a business for all things bees!  Highly recommend the suits - I paid 38 quid for mine (probably less than half of what I had previously paid for a suit) and it is very well thought out.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 12:03:24 am »
I'm a beginner and the best thing I did was go on a course. Normally I'm happy to read a book (the Haynes manual is great by the way) but in this case it was too complex. If you contact the local beekeepers they'll either run their own course or will be able to tell you who does.

The hives are hard because he'll need to decide what type of hive he wants. The bee suit is a little bit personal (I hate the ones that have the round hat, much prefer the fencing-type style, no idea why) but I'm sure you adapt to whatever you have. Smokers are less personal and would be a good buy - worth getting a decent one so that it burns long enough (and I've just bought some special smoker fuel which is brilliant and does keep burning throughout my long inspections unlike my previous shavings fuel). You could also get a hive tool although there are two styles to choose between - I much prefer the 'J' style but again that may be just me!

Lovely that you want to help him out - and I'm sure there will be plenty of present inspiration for years to come if he does get really into it.

H

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 12:18:45 am »
How soon do you need something and how far away are you from Langefold Easycare.  I know I have some beekeeping stuff around somewhere  :innocent:

I think he is in the borders somewhere, you could try emailing him as he is having my milking churn etc and getting it taken up on a pallet, so there would be room for other stuff on there if he is near to you.  I think I may have some bee suits round somewhere, and certainly a smoker and probably some hive tools.  I think one of the bee suits is unused if I can remember where it was put  :fc:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

WillieBee

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Whitley Bay
    • Urban Hives
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 03:09:21 pm »
Maybe I'm too late, but this company, probably quite near to you make good, reasonably priced hives

http://www.caddon-hives.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS