Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Nettle Cordial  (Read 39356 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Wild Nettle Cordial
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 08:30:59 pm »
Dan's now flushed with success and is looking at Dandelion jelly and other "stuff".

I explained to Cara that dandelion is known as "pee the bed" in Scotland. Not sure she's so keen on the beer now  :innocent:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:04 pm »
Dan's now flushed with success and is looking at Dandelion jelly and other "stuff".

I explained to Cara that dandelion is known as "pee the bed" in Scotland. Not sure she's so keen on the beer now  :innocent:
;D   Well it is a diuretic!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 09:03:33 pm »
I tried to get some citric acid at the shops today but couldnt find any, as soon as i can get some i'll be making this

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:00 pm »
I tried to get some citric acid at the shops today but couldnt find any, as soon as i can get some i'll be making this
Your best bet is from a winemaking or brewing shop.  It is used to cut heroin apparently, so most places don't sell it any more.

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 09:17:24 pm »
I got mine from Wilkinson s, they have it behind the customer service desk if you ask

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 09:19:24 pm »
I got mine from Wilkinson s, they have it behind the customer service desk if you ask

Brilliant, thanks for that! I tried my local tescos as they usually have a whole aisle for homebrewing but they have reduced it to just a little section and no citric acid. There must be a wilko nearby I can check out

edited to say I have ordered some from the home brew shop online so i'll be out picking nettles next time the rain stops for more than 5 minutes  ::) :gloomy:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:04:22 pm by Clarebelle »

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 04:04:48 pm »
I fancy making this (and have LOADS of nettles  ;D) but is there a reliable, natural alternative to citric acid that I could use ? Would lemon juice work instead do you think ?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »
we used lemon juice in the beer...
Little Blue

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 09:17:19 pm »
I think the citric acid enables the cordial to be watered down, and Idon't think lemon juice will do a 'sufficient ' job if you get what I mean.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »
I bottled mine on friday and am pleasantly surprised with the result! The cordial tastes lovely and you can really get the nettle taste come through but not in an intrusive way. Very pleased!  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 12:44:17 pm »
Got my citric acid in today  :excited: :excited: :excited:
Unfortunately I have to go to Costco this afternoon  :innocent: and we're hog roasting on Sunday, so it'll be Sunday night or Monday before I get round to making it  ::)
Will report back  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »
Just wanted to report back - the cordial is finished and LOVELY  :yum: Even the kids like it  :thumbsup:
I'm now planning lots of foraged for drinks (we have wild raspberries growing up the back  ;) :yum:)
Karen x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 10:48:44 pm »

I thought 'pee the bed' was that tall white flowered stuff?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »
I would love to have a go, got all the stuff......One day :innocent:  that looks so lovely too and sounds wondeful.
I have always known dandelions as pee the bed, think thats a common name where ever you are......

Min

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 01:56:24 pm »
That looks great, would love to try that, but not with Edinburgh nettles, yuck!

For those in, near or visiting Edinburgh you can get citric acid from Real Foods in Broughton Street.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS