Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coriander self sets.  (Read 6876 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Coriander self sets.
« on: May 10, 2013, 05:45:11 am »
In a previous thread I mentioned my difficulty growing pots of coriander. Last year I planted some outside but it got swamped by melons.
This week I discovered a mass of youn seedlings that I assumed were parsnips dropped by my sister. To my surprise I have a large patch of coriander self sets swamping young carrots.

Guess what - my pots of coriander in the cold frame failed !! 

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Coriander self sets.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:21:05 am »
I tried coriander for a few years, all in pots and well looked after. They all failed.
Last year  I just chucked the remaining serfdom a little  row at the end of the veg bed. It was late summer and most crops were finishing. Wow, what a crop we had. Hence last weekend we planted 3 rows of the stuff. They obviously like hardier conditions than some seedlings. No more TLC.  :sunshine:

Enjoy your crop MAK  :yum:  :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:15:37 pm »
Friday night is curry night - picked some young leaves then did some dirty jobs and scribbed my fingers. They still smelt of the great herb - Dansak and prawn korma should be great tonight.
hope you have another great crop ( let me know) as I think gather and scattter works best for me.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:03:00 am »
I tried and failed to raise coriander in pots so many times I've given up - looks like I was being too kind to them!  Maybe one more try and just chuck them somewhere outside and ignore then..  :fc:
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:16:58 am »
I love corriander and also have never been able to grow any, some people detest the stuff but I  :love:  it

Curry!! yummm

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 08:45:43 pm »
"don't plant it - it'll take over"

Yeah, right... I managed to kill mint :(
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »
Flower heads on the plants I left amongst the shallots and a sack full sealed up in the fridge. should last another  "curry nights" though. The seed that my sister planted in a pot have come good too.
Chuck a few seeds amongst other veg and ignore seems the best bet though.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:12:47 pm »
This is a coincidence, I was just looking at my coriander and thought  ' I will go onto TAS and ask the best way to harvest the seeds for use in the kitchen- and the 1st topic is about coriander !
I grew a few different herbs 3 years ago in maybe 6" pots, gave a lot away, lost a few but this one coriander in its black pot seemed healthy enough so just left if through the winter in the corner of a small raised bed. Well it survived just fine and started to grow well, I thought it could do with a bigger pot but when I tried to lift the pot the corianders roots were through the bottom and half way to Australia - so I left it where it was.
Looking at it now it is easily 7' tall, people are astounded when they see it, so a word of caution out there , if you grow coriander and it likes the place its growing, buy a pair of steps to harvest the crop. I will see if Eck will put a pic on at the weekend.
I pick the leaves for casseroles and curry and sometime soup  though its not soup weather for me really, the hens get some chucked over now and again but not too often, don't want coriander eggs really BUT someone please tell me how to harvest the seeds please.
The 1st flowers have gone over and they have left lots of quite small seeds - do they grow anymore in size ? Do I pick them and ripen on a window ledge or leave them to ripen on the plant ? My coriander is full of flower and I really dont want to waste the harvest like I have in previous years.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »
I'm struggling to grow some in a pot, on the windowsill - always thought it would be too cold outside. Maybe I should just chuck some seeds in one of the raised beds. I love it and could do with more!

Now I'll just have to find a spare corner in the raised bed! :)

Fanackapan

• Joined Jun 2013
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:35:11 pm »

Not sure if this will work but if it does its the monster coriander

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 06:37:10 pm »
 :o That looks like my lovage!

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 08:42:54 pm »
Just harvested the last of my self sets as most of the corriander is in flower - I'll leave the seeds to drop and bank on another good crop next year. friday night is curry night so I used a mass of it with my spinach and potatoe, chick-pea and pakra. mmm
Ina - ca we leave your lovage out of this  :eyelashes: :) - just kidding
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 06:26:18 am »
Ina - ca we leave your lovage out of this  :eyelashes: :) - just kidding

Oy - I love my lovage!  ;D Gets used a lot - even in curry... But coriander would be better, of course.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 10:19:19 pm »
That's not coriander - it's a triffid :o :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS