Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping ducks and geese together?  (Read 5345 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Keeping ducks and geese together?
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:04:41 am »
I've got 8 ducks 2 are male. They are kept in a stable at the mo but out in the day. Can I keep a pair of geese with them?

Any experience welcome!

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Keeping ducks and geese together?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:23:11 am »
My only experience is with a greylag goose living with a pair of runners......I think the greylag thinks it is a duck though!  We found the greylag last year as a gosling and it just hasn't left!

Helen

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:07:34 pm »
Our four Embdens co exist with our chickens with no problems. They don't share housing but they're out together all day. Can't see it being any different with ducks.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:30:21 pm »
Our geese and ducks were fine together until the geese started laying eggs.  Then the ganders got quite aggressive in protecting the geese.  Any ducks that come too close are on the receiving end of goose violence (they now sleep in separate houses which has mostly solved the problem but if the ducks stray too close during the day (none of our birds are fenced in during the day) they still get a bite aimed at them).

Oddly the geese don't seem to be bothered when the chickens come close - perhaps they understand that the chickens can run faster so it's not worth the effort.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 08:52:40 pm »
My ducks and geese happily co-exist. Interestingly a friend of mine had geese, ducks and chickens and the geese hated some of the chickens (just the buff orpingtons oddly) and would kill them given a chance (and did once!).

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
Thank you all for your replies and they have all been very interesting!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:37:13 pm »
My geese, ducks and chickens share a big run but have separate housing. Generally it's no problem but during the breeding season, the drake has started picking on the goose, so then the gander steps in and jumps on the drake. Nothing major so far but I'm still bemused why the drake does it time after time.... If I'm around, they're allowed out to free range which makes it easier but the drake will seize his chance every so often.

I've just ordered some duck hatching eggs so I need to think through the logistics of that once I know how many are likely to hatch - might need to juggle housing at some point and was wondering about putting ducks in with the geese.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS