Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone heard of a 'prolapsed penis?'  (Read 11367 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Anyone heard of a 'prolapsed penis?'
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:12:11 pm »
My poor Indian Runner drake has a prolapsed penis. I have shut him in while I ponder what to do next. After a good deal of googling I'm only a little bit further forward. I will take him to the vet in a day or so if it hasn't retracted. It would seem that the 'tube' dries up and can be cut off. (Any volunteers???!) I'm reluctant to take him to the vet unless I have to. He is seems completely fine otherwise. Not a pretty sight, I can tell you.

Has anyone any words of wisdom they'd like to share?
 :&>

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone heard of a 'prolapsed penis?'
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:21:08 pm »
Yes I had a call duck with that problem, he was bullied off a female during mating. It didn't retract and the vet was the only solution. The vet did the opp. but the poor wee sole didn't make it through the anaesthetic.
Hope yours get's a better outcome.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:46:34 pm by Brucklay »
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:38:10 pm »
my eyes are watering just reading this

poor duck!!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »
I haven't seen this one, but having seen our drake running about with his hanging out from time to time, I can easily see how it would happen.

Looking ahead though, if he has it cut off (eek!), wouldn't that make him somewhat useless in the bedroom department, and increasingly frustrated in the coming months as spring arrives?  If so, you'd have to get another drake to take over his duties, who might not want to share his hareem with your original fella, which then gives you an ongoing problem.

If it was me, I'd give him some time to see how he got on, but the final solution would probably involve plum sauce followed by finding a replacement. It's another of those smallholder vs pet keeper moments I guess, but good luck with whatever you decide  :fc: .

Womble.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:29:16 pm »
Thanks chaps. Will monitor the poor chap (actually, he seems to be utterly unconcerned!) for a few days and see what happens. One thing's for certain, I'm not going to attempt to de-prolapse it! Shudder.  :)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 07:20:48 pm »
This was a topic discussed around the pond a few years ago when one of our lads had this happen to him, sadly he was foxed a few weeks after...

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:27:35 pm »
prolapsed penis no but a collapsed penis yes sometimes happens to me I think it may be an age thing  :excited: :roflanim:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:42:13 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 04:31:19 pm »
prolapsed penis no but a collapsed penis yes sometimes happens to me I think it may be an age thing  :excited: :roflanim:

Ooooh Too much information!!!! :roflanim:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:38:49 pm »
Coo err, missus!

:eyelashes:

(You'll be glad to hear that it returned to where it had come from, and no intervention was necessary!)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:44:09 pm »

Ooooh Too much information!!!! :roflanim:
I do believe you can get some little blue pills that will counter that particular problem! but this is no good to the duck!! :eyelashes:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »
Lay off the homebrew, Bigchicken!  ;)

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:53 am »
I haven't heard of a prolapsed penis but have seen a cat who was desexed minus anaesthetic whose penis had gotten stuck out of the hole in one of his empty scrotum pouches... Eventually after a few months the tightening scar tissue amputated the head of the penis, and about an extra inch and a half. He was only about 6 months old at that point.

If that had have been my cat, I would have probably quickly put vaseline/petroleum jelly on his penis and pushed it back inside him... I bet it would have gone back into proper place in the sheath, it's basically spring loaded to do so, LOL. Poor thing will probably die of protracted kidney/urethral infections now because he's peeing from a retracted stump into his sheath... (It did go back into the sheath when it wasn't trapped in his scrotum).

If you're not keen to try to manipulate his penis back in (and who can blame you) then I don't have any ideas for you. Hope he lives. Putting vaseline or some other persistent lubrication on his penis may stop the drying out and subsequent death of the membrane, and maybe he'll be able to retract it by himself... Also you can recover his penis from a significant amount of shrivelling, pardon the way that sounds!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS