Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat from the 'geeps'  (Read 8398 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Meat from the 'geeps'
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:15:44 pm »
So, today the butcher called to say the 4 Castlemilk Moorit wethers had been butchered.

They were 3 summers old, we bought them as shearlings and they needed a good season under their belts to put on condition.

By the end of the summer, they looked very well, very agile, very very happy, never had any ailments or any foot treatments.  Three of them weighed around 35kgs, the one that had always been weaker a few kilos less.

Total weight of the 8 sides before butchering (they had their big teeth, so brain and spinal cord had been removed at the abattoir) was just short of 55kgs.  So a killout % of around 40% - not bad, I think, for primitives.

I posted the pic of all the meat on our kitchen table in 'What are you doing today' but here it is again.

For those who like facts and figures, there are:
  • 31 packs of 3 loin chops - 2 is a nice portion
  • 7 packs of leg chops, each will feed two comfortably
  • 7 packs of end of neck (I love navarin!  :yum:), ave. c. 1lb
  • 8 x 1lb packs of diced lamb (afelia, shish kebabs...  :yum:)
  • 8 whole legs, c 2kgs /ea
  • 4 x rolled shoulder, ave. 1.8kgs
  • 5 x half shoulder, ave. 1.4kgs
  • 3 x rolled breast, ave. 1.1kgs
  • 5 kidneys
I cooked 3 little chops for supper, just grilled them to see how they turned out.  They turned out just fine  :yum:  :thumbsup:  Very tender, very succulent, very very tasty.  Not quite like any lamb or any mutton I've ever had.  A bit gamey, like people say it is.  We are both very pleased.

Because I had to buy in the wethers, my costs have been higher than they'll be going forward.  And I am happy to pay my local butcher to do a complete butchering, bagging and labelling service - for one thing, he buys a lot of lamb off us! 

That said, my total costs of producing that 55kgs meat has been around £300.  Still cheaper than buying lamb or hogget of good quality from a local butcher - and sooooo much nicer and waaaayyyy more fun!  :D  :love: :sheep:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Meat from the 'geeps'
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:20:54 pm »
that is a lovely pile of lamb!!!

its not bad at under £6 per kilo

enjoy...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:26:16 pm »
Well done Sally.
That's a display to be proud of  :trophy: 

One day..... One day   :eyelashes: hopefully I'll try to follow in your footsteps, expect many a call for advice  :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:28:56 pm »
Well done Sally.
That's a display to be proud of  :trophy: 
Why, thank you ma'am.   :bow:  And thanks for your comments, too, bloomer.   :wave: 

One day..... One day   :eyelashes: hopefully I'll try to follow in your footsteps, expect many a call for advice  :innocent:
I hope so, I hope so!  :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:57:36 am »
Very useful info, thank you.  I've got two going off next Monday.

Why is lamb more expensive than pork,  the two wethers have just eaten grass all summer, the pigs have needed bagged feed.  Both cost about the same to buy in,  pigs cost more to kill and cut.??

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:39:03 am »
Lamb is expensive in the shops mostly because of global factors. Most cheap lamb was from Nz/Oz but demand from the Far East has rocketed so it makes more sense for it to head there (nearer too!). Added to that a lot of (in some cases all) of the subsidies were removed from sheep farming down under which means not only has the national flock size reduced by 0000000s, but also real costs are now being reflected in the price.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:50:30 am »
Well done Sally, looks good. Our local abatoir charges £22 each for killing , I can butcher it myself so it saves a lot of cash. :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:44:34 am »
I don't have anything to compare it with but it certainly looks good to me  :thumbsup:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:20:31 am »
Lovely  :thumbsup: My seven go away on Monday - all sold except one. So if anyone wants half a Ryeland lamb, PM me.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:20:45 am »
Well done Sally, looks good. Our local abatoir charges £22 each for killing , I can butcher it myself so it saves a lot of cash. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, tiz; that makes my butcher look really good value - I paid £100 to have the 4 slaughtered, butchered, bagged and labelled.  I just had to take them to the abattoir and collect the meat from the butcher.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:30:17 am »
Very useful info, thank you.  I've got two going off next Monday.
I'm glad it's of use  :)  What type are yours?

Why is lamb more expensive than pork,  the two wethers have just eaten grass all summer, the pigs have needed bagged feed.  Both cost about the same to buy in,  pigs cost more to kill and cut.??
Charges differ across the country, I think, but my butcher's charges work out roughly the same per kilo of meat for both sheep and pigs.

And that's the other difference - a store lamb will put on what, something like 15kgs of meat from purchase to slaughter?  And a pig probably somewhere around three times that, or more.

Other differences include that commercially, pigs are kept in buildings so use very little land and relatively little manpower, whereas sheep require a great deal of land and quite a bit of intervention.  And we import an enormous amount of pork and bacon, and now import less lamb and export quite a lot.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 10:35:17 am »

Thanks for that, tiz; that makes my butcher look really good value - I paid £100 to have the 4 slaughtered, butchered, bagged and labelled.  I just had to take them to the abattoir and collect the meat from the butcher.

We had our 6 lambs killed a couple of weeks ago, and paid £25/head for kill and cut. That was home kill by a mobile slaughter man who also cut up but the price for abattoir and the mobile slaughter man to cut was the same (obviously with transport costs on top). Your lamb looks lovely, we were really chuffed with ours and also had some chops under the grill on the first night we got them back, tasted so so good.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:08:11 pm »
Castlemilk moorits but younger than yours.  17months-ish.
Got them from Brookfieldfarm on here, they've happily munched grass and caused no problems all summer, just need to get through the hurdle of loading them and getting them to Wrexham next week.

First experience of keeping sheep, these have been easy, sure the next ones won't.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »
Oh, well I'll be very interested in how yours compare, Dogwalker.  I think two summers is a better target for wethers, really.  But ours aren't at all tough or fatty; I'm very pleased with them.

And, for all we were very apprehensive about the breed being flighty etc, once they'd settled in, these have been delightful.  And the new ones are silly tame. ::) :love: :sheep:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »

And that's the other difference - a store lamb will put on what, something like 15kgs of meat from purchase to slaughter?  And a pig probably somewhere around three times that, or more.

Other differences include that commercially, pigs are kept in buildings so use very little land and relatively little manpower, whereas sheep require a great deal of land and quite a bit of intervention.  And we import an enormous amount of pork and bacon, and now import less lamb and export quite a lot.

Its the export market that keeps the lamb prices buoyant - the domestic buyers know they will have to outbid the exporters. Thus, the price of lamb is intrinsically linked to the euro, so if the bailouts fail and the euro collapses, expect to see fat labs at 20 quid as the domestic market floods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS