Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding hops to pigs  (Read 9616 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Feeding hops to pigs
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:45:41 pm »
A friend of ours has always used hops to feed his pigs - He takes them away, free of charge from a local brewery... Is this generally a good idea? 
Our local brewery has said that I am more than welcome to take them away to use on my 'compost heap'   :innocent:
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

robert waddell

Re: Feeding hops to pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:44 pm »
it is the only thing our pigs would not eat   :farmer:

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:05:00 pm »
If they were to enjoy them, is it likely to make the weaners fatty? - Being fairly sensible with the amount fed - We are now going to be moving the weaners onto about an acre of brambles, docks, thistles & I'm sure there's some grass there too...  The idea is that they will clear it over the next few months ready to use for a couple of paddocks next year.   I was hoping the hops would top up the roots & greenery until they go to the abattoir.. 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »
I got hops for the garden from the brewery that I get the grains from  and belive me just brining them up in the back of the car was bad enough, If I had been breathalised I think I would have failed it just from the fumes  :o
I am not sure I would even offer them to animals deliberatly because I am sure the chickens that got into the garden where drunk from eating them
Graham

Trickydick

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »
Hello,

I am a homebrewer, and I have found a pig farmer that has been taking my spent grains to feed his pigs.
Its a win-win for everyone.
This past weekend, I used a new technique (new for me but has been around a long time) called mash hopping. The hops are added to the mash with the grains.  The hops are inseparable from the grains after that.
I know hops are poisonous/deadly to dogs. 
Are hops harmful to pigs?  The quantity of hops was rather small (2 oz hops to 33 pounds malted barley).
I don't want to hurt any pigs by feeling them this spent grain with the hops mixed in.
Thank you
RH

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 07:52:12 pm »
We get Spent  Grains from a local brewery and most of the animals love them, non including the pigs will touch the Hops and if we mix them with the grains they wont touch the grains
we put them on the garden
Graham

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:30:44 pm »
If they were to enjoy them, is it likely to make the weaners fatty? - Being fairly sensible with the amount fed - We are now going to be moving the weaners onto about an acre of brambles, docks, thistles & I'm sure there's some grass there too...  The idea is that they will clear it over the next few months ready to use for a couple of paddocks next year.   I was hoping the hops would top up the roots & greenery until they go to the abattoir..

Watch out that the weaners don't eat so much tough, fibrous material they get impacted guts.  Quick route to a painful death.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS