Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pridd & AI  (Read 4774 times)

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
Pridd & AI
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:33:09 pm »
Hi all,

On Tuesday I had the vet out to one of our highland cows who hasn't 'cycled' since calving in June. He inserted a Pridd, which he said needed to stay in for 7 - 10 days, then once withdrawn she should cycle 56 hours later. He suggested that I arrange the AI man for an appointment & then work back so that I remove the Pridd at the right time.

Couple of things I'm not sure about & wonder if one of you could advise me please.

Are there any complications to pulling the Pridd out? Vet advised just to hold the end of the string & pull gently - is it as easy as that?

After 56 hours she should cycle. Normally I watch the cows carefully, see one bulling & contact the AI man, he can come up to a day later & we have had 100% success rate so far. Do I have the usual time period in which to get her AI'd or do we need to be 'bang on' time wise? And if so does anyone know if Genus (AI company) work weekends?

Sorry to be a bit of a numpty  :-[

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Pridd & AI
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:42:11 pm »
Nickie, if you've ever used a tampon, you'll have no problem removing the Pridd  ;)

Rosemary used this technique on her Shetlands last year, and used Genus, so will be able to advise about the timing side of it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 06:53:02 pm »
Thanks Sally. I should be able to cope then - certainly better than the other half! ;)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:55:08 pm »
Are there any complications to pulling the Pridd out? Vet advised just to hold the end of the string & pull gently - is it as easy as that?

Our vet said the only thing you had to do was make sure you stand to one side.  ;)

Do I have the usual time period in which to get her AI'd or do we need to be 'bang on' time wise? And if so does anyone know if Genus (AI company) work weekends?

Rosemary posted about this when we did it:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/diary/prids/

And Genus came out on a Sunday to do our last AI - not sure if it depends on the individual agents though.

HTH, good luck. :) :cow:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:45:54 pm »
The technicians work 7 days - not always the same ones, obviously  ;D

And yes, just pull gently, keep your mouth closed and stand to one side as there can be some spray  :innocent:

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:32:57 am »
Thank you very much Dan & Rosemary.

A bit of conflicting advise, 48 or 56 hours?

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to give the AI man a ring to book an appointment & also ask his advice re best time to withdraw.

It's all exciting, but the pressure is on to get this right first time. This cow is already later than the others, is 12 years old, throws a big calf & is very milky so she can lose condition easily if not managed carefully. We live high up with very little shelter & poor grazing so we have a short window of opportunity when it is ideal for calving; for the cows, calves & us!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 01:58:37 pm »
Best to go with what the vet says.

We did this with our Jesrey cow this year as she hadn't come into heat. We duly had her inseminated 56 hours after removing the prid, only to have her come in season two days later so she was inseminated again.

The chap from Genus said that sometimes, if the cow is very close to coming season anyway the prid won't overide it, so just keep your eyes open. Don't necessarily assume that all will go as it should (although it probably will ;D )

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:24 pm »
I just wanted to thank you for your advise.

I managed to remove the PRID without a hitch, booked AI man for 56 hours later. He said the right ovary felt right although it wasn't very hot. He did his stuff but we scheduled another visit for the following morning, just to be safe. She was definitely bulling then next morning, very vocal & happy to be mounted (never seen this from her before), so i'm really glad we had booked that second visit.

:fc: we have caught her.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:36:37 pm »
 ;D
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:52:36 pm »
Great news,  :fc: for you.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:51:06 pm »
Hi
my hubby is an AI tech he used to work for Genus but is freelance now.
He reckons everything you did is ok but he would have served her a third time as well just as she was going off ???  he knows what he means. He said this would have caught her when she had definitely ovulated.
if she was with a bull he would have flooded her with 3oo times the semen that would be fresh whereas the AI man uses only a a fraction of that.
But it sounds like you did fine and  :fc: for a calf
Good luck

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 07:56:47 am »
 :fc: for a successful insemination and a new calf  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS