Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: are leopard slugs toxic?  (Read 17311 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
are leopard slugs toxic?
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:51:08 am »
I always give snails and slugs to the ducks - but this morning mummy duck seemed scared of a giant leopard slug and I wondered if they are toxic? couldn't see anything in Wiki other than parasites, of course. I hope not, maybe just too large. Just a note to say that I found it in my kitchen at night  :o :o :o ;D :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: are leopard slugs toxic?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:51 am »
I was really interested by your post so did a bit of googling too! My chickens never touch the leopard slugs either but will eat others.
What I did find was that leopard slugs are omnivorous and will eat the other slugs (at a top speed of 6 inches/min) so are quite useful, albeit not particularly welcome in the kitchen (bleugh!)
I also found a post suggesting that Leopard slugs are best served to poultry sliced, diced or julienned. That put me off of my toast I have to say....
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:57 am »
Blurgh ! Leopard slug julienned on toast  :P :D

A tip (which actually works) for keeping slugs out your house is to put a strip of copper tape across doorways (or any other way they are getting in) they get an electric shock from the copper and won't cross it  ;) :thumbsup: (works on plant pots too, for growing lettuce etc  ;))
You can buy self adhesive copper tape from garden centres and ebay - it's not too expensive and worth every penny if it means you don't step on them with your bare feet  ::) That slime takes forever to wash off  :innocent:
HTH
Karen  :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:53:28 am »
are we going to cook them for them next ?  :P :P ;D :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:59:27 am »
Karen,  I have no idea where the blighters come in - we'll have new windows in the kitchen next month, maybe that solves the problem. It's more likely through holes in the foundation left by rodents under the sink...inaccessible at the mo!  :'( :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:09:54 am »
Slugs as well as snails can climb, so they can come in the top of the window if it's left open. We get huge snails inside our bedroom, and if we don't notice they end up as empty shells stuck in obscure corners, having dried out with nothing to eat. 
Leopard slugs are also known as Great Greys, or I assume that is the ones you mean.  My OH loves them (not as hors d'oevres though), and they do seem to munch their way through lots of those horrible tiny fawn slugs which demolish lettuces, so I let them be too.  However, they like a bit of salad themselves after the main course so they get turfed off my plants.

We have loads of the big black slugs in the veggie patch.  In fact we have more slugs of every sort than we have ever had before and I'm despairing for my few crops.  Maybe we should get some ducks again  :&> :&>
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:12:10 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:10:35 am »
Karen,  I have no idea where the blighters come in - we'll have new windows in the kitchen next month, maybe that solves the problem. It's more likely through holes in the foundation left by rodents under the sink...inaccessible at the mo!  :'( :&>
I'd put a run along the front of the sink (or all round the kitchen floor) I have a few spare rolls here (buy them in bulk  :innocent:) - want me to send you one to try ? Just pm me your address and I'll post one next week  :thumbsup:
Karen x

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »
ooooo would old copper piping work? I'm at my wits end with the slugs. Just filled a jam jar full of them from the strawberry patch, and it's a tiny patch!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS