Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dispatching,which method do you use.  (Read 12137 times)

Mel

Dispatching,which method do you use.
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:52:32 pm »
Hi all,
I have just had a bit of a todo with a neighbour of mine,she is in veterinary college,I have had to cull some birds which I bought last year,as previously shown,they were not good and have never been 100%

She believes the Only way to cull them without any pain is the chopping block  :-\ and that dispatching by neck dislocation is inhumane ??? ,shooting at point blank with an air rifle is also a no no as in her words,the chicken does not die immediately! :o I have to be honest but I do use an air rifle,if I am wrong to do so then I would like to be advised of it.

I had some large chickens last year amongst some capons,tried the neck dislocation and honestly did not have the physical strength to do it properly,it was awful and I have never forgiven myself for it,this is why I use the air rifle as as far as I can see it is an immediate job done.

which methods do you all use

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Dispatching,which method do you use.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »
Now I have one, I would use the air rifle, If I didn't I break their necks. Personally I am not a fan of the chopping block as it makes the whole thing far more messy/gruesome and stressful (for me) than it needs to.
I don't believe that a point blank shot to the head with the A/R doesn't kill them instantly. But hey ho, I might be wrong.
If you google it, you can find a headless chicken walking around supposedly months after the chopping block. Urban myth perhaps, but freaked me out for life ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:12:31 pm »
Have a read of the article on slaughtering poultry, which describes the categories and regulations for slaughter:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/poultry/slaughtering-poultry/

The airgun acts as the concussion part of the 'Concussion stunning followed by bleeding' method, which is what we use. If you use an airgun you must also sever the carotid arteries, within a few seconds of the concussion.

HTH.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:47:29 pm »
In truth, when we had to dispatch our cockrels last year, we did disslocation followed immediately by air rifle as I was convinced they were suffering unduely with just the neck dislocation (If just using air rifle, how do you get them to keep their heads still, or are you just a good shot and wait for them to be still in the pen?! - and dont suggest I hold head whilst OH shoots :o ).  This year planning to shoot then slit throat, following this and other posts elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:36:44 pm by FiB »

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:53:26 pm »
Chopping block Air rifle  :o  What a mes       I Dislocate neck creating a void

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 03:01:04 pm »
dislocation too. the first few i followed with the axe, to reassure myself!

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 03:54:04 pm »
Quickly stand on a stick / broom handle and you don't need as much strength to dislocate (very quick)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »
I must admit I didn't think you were allowed to dispatch by air rifle. We have always dispatched via dislocation of neck. Not pleasant but 'somebody has to do it' and they always go to the pot so not wasted.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 05:52:35 pm »
You forgot the "throw grenade into shed" method.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 07:31:16 pm »
I use an electric stunner followed by a very sharp knife. The stunner was a bit pricey but I couldn't trust my hands to do the job properly. My nephew and I did one batch with the cleaver but decided we would rather not eat chicken than do that again :(
Any TASers in S.Devon, I will happily do yours for the price of the fuel to get to you.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:12 pm »
Does anyone skip the stunning or concusion bit and just go for a slit to the throat or cut the head off ?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:06:27 pm »

If you google it, you can find a headless chicken walking around supposedly months after the chopping block. Urban myth perhaps, but freaked me out for life ;)

No myth!
http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.php

I did the stand-on-a-thick-stick method. Knives, axes, rifles - all too messy and uncontrolled. Keep it calm and quick.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:10:37 pm »
I dislocate by hand and Iv'e never had any bird complain that it hurt.

Years ago when I was a mear youth I worked at an egg station on the killing line during the school holidays. There it was a whack across the back of the head, into a cone and a killing pliers was inserted into the mouth and it cut the jugular.
It was a messy job but somebody had to do it.

Dislocation by hand isn't about how strong you are it's a knack I guess. I have tried to teach others and some can do it other cannot.

Big ducks get the chop I'm afraid, as they are very difficult to hand cull.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 09:26:40 pm »
Next months Practical Poultry features an article on this subject and I look forward to reading it.

We use a wall mounted despatcher, but it is so important to set it correctly. I have never been sure that death is instant or whether they can still feel pain and just suffocate to death. I intend to continue using it but follow immediately with a pointed .22 pellet from a Crosman PCP into the head from now on.

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (American) is an excellent book and suggests shooting in the head. Think it also suggests the 'traffic cone' method -the chicken sticks its head out at the top and it is either cut off with garden loppers or shot, then drops back into the cone which restricts the blood spray. Doesn't matter which way you do it, its never going to be a pleasant task.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS