Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Showing goats - whats CAE  (Read 10232 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Showing goats - whats CAE
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 04:49:00 pm »
Are your pygmy's registered with the British goat society?

Even if you enter the any other variety class, they need to be registered with them as Border Union is a British goat society recognised show. it can be done, I have seen Boer's shown in the kid any other variety class. As Anke says, you would be star of the show for the public to see.

Beth

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 09:14:34 pm »
I'm a member of the Pygmy Goat Club but would have to check if that automatically makes me a member of the British Goat Soc (would think not?).  I'll make a note of that now to check.
Am just going to hover this year and take notes so I don't look gormless next year.
Will say hello if your there ballingall  :wave:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »
Will be there- helpers are always welcome too! :wave:

There was a nice lady hovering at the royal highland too, but I never discovered who she was....

Beth

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 09:56:28 pm »
so do the vets do the cae tests?? havent had mine doen before but think i need to....

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:20 pm »
yes, they do  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 11:57:17 pm »
so do the vets do the cae tests?? havent had mine doen before but think i need to....
They just take blood sample, mine sends it to SAC, don't know if they all do, find a form on the BGS website and fill that in in advance if you can, should save time and money.
I think any stud goat owner who cares about goats would have their males tested and would expect to see a CAE negative cert for the doe before letting her anywhere near him. So if you want to show, breed or just be sure the goats are healthy, then you should have them tested, must get my girls tested well before billy-time this year, billy was going travelling and we nearly missed him waiting for the certificate, all came together at the last minute. :relief: (yes, that was me last year  ;D  )

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 08:22:37 am »
All CAE bloods go to SAC.    The forms to get the reduced lab fees is on BGS website.    Results back in about 10 days.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 09:34:01 pm »
do you have to be a member of the bgs to get the form? am only a member of the local clubs...??

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 09:42:38 pm »
do you have to be a member of the bgs to get the form? am only a member of the local clubs...??
I think yes.
I have so far not used the BGS forms (although am member of BGS), and if you only have a few goats the price difference is not really that much. If you can take the goat(s) to the surgery rather than vet coming out to you it will be a lot cheaper.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 11:40:16 pm »
scroll down on this page, (it is the BGS site) you want the forms for non monitored herd
it is a page open to anyone, showing fees etc.
http://www.allgoats.com/pricelist.htm

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS