Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ignoring other members  (Read 37696 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Ignoring other members
« on: May 30, 2012, 02:07:42 pm »
By popular demand we've enabled a feature to allow you to ignore posts by other members. If you ignore a member you will still see their name and the position of their posts in threads, but the text of their post will be hidden.

You can edit your ignore list through this route (or just click the last link):

Profile > Modify Profile > Buddies/Ignore List > Edit Ignore List

You'll see a list of members you ignore and a box to add members to your list - just start to type the member's name into the box and a list will appear, select the member and click Add.

Any problems just ask here or PM me.  :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:28:31 pm by Dan »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Ignoring other members
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 02:19:23 pm »
Thanks Dan, although I hope I won't need to use it
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:30:49 pm »
hee hee, hope I dont get blocked too much!
In jest, maybe there ought to be a feature where the blocked person sees how many people have blocked their posts (not the names just a total) and so they gradually begin to realise as the total goes higher and higher that maybe their words of wisdom could be better worded :-DDD

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:01:47 pm »
Dan I find that a little distasteful and not in the spirit of the forum. Surely if you are not interested in someones opinion you just don't bother reading it.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:17:50 pm »
Dan I find that a little distasteful and not in the spirit of the forum. Surely if you are not interested in someones opinion you just don't bother reading it.

There's no compulsion to use it, and we have had requests from members who have said this feature would be useful and make a difference to their experience on the forum. If you don't use it, it has no effect on your forum experience.

If there is just one member on here who finds the forum a more pleasant place because, for whatever reason, they can suppress another member's posts, I think it's worthwhile and not at all distasteful. In an ideal world everyone would get along and feel able to voice concern about other members' behaviour, but not everyone is comfortable doing that.

We rely heavily on members to self-moderate, and to challenge and report unacceptable behaviour when self-moderation doesn't work. We're very open to suggestions about improvements we can make to moderation - if anyone wants to help out with moderation, or there are other things we can do to improve, please shout!  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:20:17 pm »
Thanks Dan, although I hope I won't need to use it

???  Who said that?   ???

(Just kidding  :wave: :-*   :D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:51:34 pm »
I'm afraid I agree with Berkshire Boy.  I think this is just a step too far.  If you don't want to interact with starngers in the street you just walk past them.  Same on here.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:23:33 pm »
Not necessarily. My eyes are hard-wired to read before my brain's caught up, if that makes sense. I've used a similar feature on other forums that had no moderation, where those particular posters were dragging something off topic, or simply being vile.
No one here has ever had that effect on me though  :thumbsup:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:32 pm »
I dont see why the feature being available should be a problem tho we can choose not to use it if we dont agree with it.
Not sure how necessary it is given moderation but it might be a way to try and reduce the workload of moderators.
I think if I found someones posts offensive then I would more want to see them not less as otherwise they could just spout poison without me knowing. But noones done that on here, just a few threads with strong views where maybe 'agreeing to disagree' would have been the right outcome earlier than it was.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 07:31:31 pm »
blocking someones posts by username would not remove the post from the forum, there was an incident a little while ago where someone called someone else  an idiot and the perpetrator was either removed or removed themself. the post still stands tho.
i think this is a quite wierd development, and not something ive heard of before. ive yet to see a post that has affected my enjoyment of the site apart from the one mentioned above. some forums get spammed constantly, with inciteful and offencive posters doing it just because they can, ive yet to see that here thankfully.
i appreciate that some of my more opinionated posts could be 'challenging' to some viewers but i dont spam others threads and im never rude, id like to think that if my posts were interpreted as such, i would be told. as yet i havent  been.

this could cause alot of confusing responses.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:37:49 pm »
its a common feature on less passive sites than this, there is a site i go on where i love some of the content but some of the posters are over opinionated ill educated idiots, they are on my block list so i only see the good stuff!!!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:59:02 pm »
Seems a shame that it is necessary. Wouldn't it be better just to remove the offenders completely?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 08:25:46 pm »
I haven't found anyone here offensive and hope I haven't offended anyone.

But - we're all different personalities and wherever there are several folk gathered together there will be differences. If some people feel happier not seeing another one's posts, well they're happier, the rest of us are none the wiser since we can still see the posts....win-win as far as I can see?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 08:41:40 pm »
I'd actually be fascinated to know who blocks who - but I don't want to know, if you know what I mean! 

Personally, I think a bit of friction is the grit in the oyster that makes the pearl.  Otherwise it's just something that slides down smoothly but is ultimately forgettable.  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »
Personally, I think a bit of friction is the grit in the oyster that makes the pearl.  Otherwise it's just something that slides down smoothly but is ultimately forgettable.  ;)

;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS