Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb pellets  (Read 4788 times)

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
lamb pellets
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:09:19 pm »
Hi>

can any one give me a clue?? How do I know how much lamb pellets to give to lambs that are being hand reared?? They will be 'pets' and are not being fattened up for slaughter.

They are both 3-4 weeks old, taking milk well, munching on a bit of hay. I have been giving a hand full between them> should I be giving more?

The larger of the two is always hungry and would take more milk if offered, he is on the top whack of what it says on the bag? ??? ?

Is there a ratio to milk or anything??

Any help gratefully received. :sheep:
3 dogs,2 tortoises, 6 cats 4 hens 4 Belgians, 2 lambs,, 2 rabbits, fish, the list goes on!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: lamb pellets
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:30:39 pm »
Aim to get them eating half-a-pound each per day by the time you want to wean them off the milk - not less than five weeks old, beyond that is your choice.

Some people then feed pellets ad lib, but pets can't half put them away, so we limit them to about a pound a head per day, so they have to eat grass and hay to fill up - more healthy, cheaper, and they get less fat, in my view.  Other views will be expressed here soon...  ;) :D

Another tip is to only feed as many pellets as they'll clean up - otherwise rats, crows, etc, will be attracted and will waste your money and bring disease.  I feed my pets their pellets morning and late afternoon, and they have ad lib hay and straw, and access to grass when the weather is suitable. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »
thank you so much that helps alot! :)

Weaning! yes not a time I am looking forward to! I have read so much about the death rates when weaning hand reared lambs. Gotta be honest am dreading trying.

K
3 dogs,2 tortoises, 6 cats 4 hens 4 Belgians, 2 lambs,, 2 rabbits, fish, the list goes on!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:28:15 pm »
kate, I can't think of any pet lambs I've lost through weaning.  Just make sure they are at least 5 weeks old - up to 8 or 9 weeks is fine, just costs you more milk; get them eating creep (as you are doing), gradually decrease the milk (I cut out one bottle feed then another down to one at bedtime) while increasing the creep up to half-a-pound per lamb per day (and try to be sure both are eating it, not mainly one eating it and the other just mouthing on at it.)  Then stop the milk and increase the creep with appetite up to a pound per lamb per day.  Keep them on limited grass - enough to nibble on at, but not so much long lush grass they can blow themselves up with it - with ad lib fresh hay and fresh water at all times.  Keep an eye on their condition - if they seem to be going backwards (you can start to feel their ribs, for instance), maybe put one bottle back in, but not a large feed, until they regain the lost flesh.  Give them a week or so and try again.

Once they've been off milk for a few weeks, you can let them have more access to grass.

Don't forget their vaccinations, worm if you get dirty bums, keep reading and talking to us on here (you'll see people start talking about flystrike treatments, for instance, so that'll key you into when you might need to do yours), and you should be fine.  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:05:58 am »
I wouldnt give them any pellets.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS