Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ear tagging advice  (Read 9245 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
ear tagging advice
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »
going to ear tag my lambs with bubble gum tags looking for advice and any tips cheers

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
Re: ear tagging advice
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:27 pm »
Hiya, try to get the tags so there is enough room for the ear to grow, but not soooo close to the edge that it will easily catch on the first twig. I do tend to leave the tagging until quite a bit later for a number of reasons.

1. the lambs have time to grow a bit
2. less chance of losses/ ear ripping before going to market/slaughter/ etc
3. oportunity to health/ feet/ fly check later at the same time

and cos i am sentimental and feel that the wee souls have just had their tails done,and their bosies done !!!

How old are your lambs? and what are you doing with them and when?
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:17:14 pm »
I put  the teeny little id tag that can be got from Allflex in left ear at 1 day old....love em, really tiny pin through middle so gi in very easily....and my sheep have ears that are aboyt 2 ins long max  :o
I put bubblegim EID in when they are sold or when about 8 -9 months. No problems with these tags except one ewe who mamaged to catch both and pull them right through ear....look like odd earings now ;D 
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:28:38 am »
I use shearwell tags which are pretty small anyway. I tag at 24 hours old-ish, although I dont tail or castrate. I wouldnt tag till weaning if I wasnt keeping performance records for the ewes.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:49:29 am »
Always cut the loops so they can't catch on anything, We tag early so we know for the pedigrees.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:11:41 pm »
Tizaala - which make of tag do you use on your Moorits - I need to order more tags very soon and going round in circles as to which to get - can anyone out there recommend what they use and why it would be great to have some reference to tags good and bad points and which ones are good for different breeds - I have Shetlands and Castlemilks so would prefer a smaller pin, I was considering the Roxan Tagfaster and Cutting the loop or the Dalton Rototag - can anyone steer me in one direction or the other or another option - I thought Bubblegum once looked a bit thick - feel free to put me right - thanks again
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:03:33 pm »
There is some good archive discussion on this from last year....have a search. I looked at all tags and got samples after EID came in as my Ouessants have smaller ears than any other breed and my usual tag supplier changed the design and made them too heavy. Allflex bubblegum tags are the best option for small ears as the eid is in the post going throigh the ear. and the id tag you can buy to accompany it in the other ear is really small. hope that helps
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 03:15:21 pm »
I remember reading all the tagging posts last year but I will refresh myself again - I guess new tags come out time to time too. My worry with the Allflex bubblegum is the diameter of the hole through the ear on a small ear, if they do get caught will more damage be done by a thick pin or does the thickness of the pin not make a difference? I used shearwell set tag on the Jacob and they worked very well but would be way to heavy for little sheep - off to read the old posts again
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 03:46:48 pm »
The thickness of the pin is about the same as my old tags and most normal id tags. If worried either cut the loop and indeed trim the whole tag back so just the number is seen.....or as someone I know has done and I have considered, trim it all back as you still have the id tag with visible numbers and the eid which will go beep!
The other alternative is to use a bolus....lamb boluses used on a 6 month old shetland or castlemilk would be fine. I used to have all my big sheep bolused as they were in the scrapie monitoring scheme......not a problem! However even ouessants of 1 year old  are too small even for a lamb bolus ::)

www.valgrainger.co.uk

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »
This is an interesting thread as I paint numbers on the ewe and lambs with things which look
like branding irons with a number using red oxide paint. I have always wondered about Lamb tags.
I have wilthshires which are registered so getting the right Ewe and lambs is important for records etc.

I take it bubble gum tag is the one that looks like a button?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 08:08:20 pm »
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 09:07:37 pm »
I use Dalton U-tag, inserted at 24 hours old. I pop the eid tags (i-tag loop) in at weaning. I don't cut the loops as that is not what catches on the tags, it's the little bobbles on the outside of the tag.
One pet hate of mine is sheep who are incorrectly tagged. I bought a new ram (privately) and discovered he not only had one tag...it was only half of one tag! So I had to order a replacement for the half tag plus a match up tag to go in the other ear. Please folks if you sell sheep, make sure the tags are correct - single slaughter tag if going for the chop before 12 months old (can be electronic or not), or double tags one of which is electronic if the sheep are expected to survive beyond 12 months or are for breeding. I shall now dismount my soapbox!  ;)
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:11:12 pm »
thanks for the advice i think i will wait until weaning and let there ears grow abit cheers

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »
cutting the loop? Interesting - I had loads of trouble with mine where they'd cut the loop and the part of the tag on the inside of the ear had rotated and gone inside it causing all manner of problems so I just replaced the lot of them

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:43 pm »
I use Dalton U-tag, inserted at 24 hours old. I pop the eid tags (i-tag loop) in at weaning. I don't cut the loops as that is not what catches on the tags, it's the little bobbles on the outside of the tag.
One pet hate of mine is sheep who are incorrectly tagged. I bought a new ram (privately) and discovered he not only had one tag...it was only half of one tag! So I had to order a replacement for the half tag plus a match up tag to go in the other ear. Please folks if you sell sheep, make sure the tags are correct - single slaughter tag if going for the chop before 12 months old (can be electronic or not), or double tags one of which is electronic if the sheep are expected to survive beyond 12 months or are for breeding. I shall now dismount my soapbox!  ;)

I have to say, I just double-tag everything. Can't be bothered to faff if I do decide to keep something for whatever reason.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS