Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gestation period  (Read 3481 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Gestation period
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »
When I lived down in the South East my ewes typically lambed early or on time. Since I moved up to the Peak District both years the lambs have mostly been born late. I wonder whether it is a geographical/altitude thing or possibly down to the harsh winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11  ??? 

With the ewes due to start lambing at the end of March I'm now wondering what will happen this year following the mild winter.

Has anyone else noticed any variations in gestation period due to weather or geographical reasons?  Has anyone noticed any particular trend this year?  :wave:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Gestation period
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:57:49 pm »
Mine, if the weather was bad would hang on by a day or 2 to give birth at dawn on a pleasant day. I never had a ewe lamb down in the rain yet, though only time will tell what my girls I have now will do ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:49:07 pm »
Hmmm, if the yows here didn't lamb in the rain/sleet they never would  ::)

What I've noticed is: Roughs - spot on 148 days (5th Nov -1st April)  Herdies 144-146 days, my goats 149 days.

Shetlands - anyone know?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »
Ironically enough, mine were shetlands :D
Perhaps they just know when it's going to be nice down here and cross their legs :D :D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:21:26 pm »
Average last year (2010/11) for a mixed flock of txl crosses and shetlands - 146 days. I didn't separate the shetlands out, but could do... but a bit too busy getting ready for this year.

Shetlands seem to be better at judging the weather though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:09:55 am »
Ours have been slow to get started this year, and the cattle have all been overtime, several 8-11 days over and one 17.

Around here, folk say that ewes and cows wait for bad weather to lamb / calve, and that has certainly been my experience.  BH reckons they're too comfortable when it's dry and mild, to lazy to do the work, then when the wet windy stuff comes along they feel miserable and decide they can't bear to be big and fat any longer.  It seems topsy-turvy, but if you think about it, over time you could actually get some natural selection for this characteristic, as those lambs which do survive are tough, get on their feet quick and get sucking quick.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »
I was going to say, until Sally posted, that I have never known sheep wait for good weather to lamb, quite the opposite...the number I have seen born into a puddle....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS