Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mum and daughter squables  (Read 1849 times)

moody_mare

• Joined Nov 2011
  • South Gloucestershire
mum and daughter squables
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:11:28 pm »
I have an adorable 3 year old BS and her 9 month old holligan daughter. The nanny had 2 kids, but they were all seperated at 3 weeks. I took nanny and one kid, breeder kept other kid. I bottle feed kid to 5 months and re introduced nanny and kid. all has been bliss till now. Kid has started to butt nanny hard. nanny is the sweetest softest thing and just walks off.

I am worried as I struggle to keep weight on nanny (prolifict milker). Now the kid i interfering with her hay consumtion, even with 3 different racks. will this youthful exeberance die down? or is this a dominance battle?

any advice?
Too many animals isn't enough animals!

Moderate tendencies towards hyperactivity :-)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: mum and daughter squables
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:25:06 pm »
Welcome to the world of goatlings!
If you can I would feed seperately to make sure mum gets enough, and put loads of hay as far apart as you can so the little tyke can't guard all of it. But i would think that if mum really had had enough, she would give the daughter a hiding ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:32 am »
I would say it's a dominance battle.  I'm getting the same thing with my kid who has been in with Mum and Gran from day 1.  They won't take any nonsense from him though.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:45:15 am »
Mine's the other way round, dominant mum being unnecessarily fierce with gentle goatling  :P

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:50:27 pm »
It is just the goatling growing up - she will calm down in a while. And yes if mum is really fed up she will put her daughter into her place. You are doing the right thing - feeding concentrates to the nanny away from the goatling, and having several hay stations.

If you can put in a hurdle to half their pen, maybe for a couple of hours a day to allow the nanny to fill herself up with hay than that may help her too.

It is even worse if you have two kids/nealry goatlings together....

moody_mare

• Joined Nov 2011
  • South Gloucestershire
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:42:47 pm »
poor ponies got it today, thank god they are so good with the goats. newforest mare was head butted and “pushed “ out of her feed. goatling grew up with our springador youngster, they have always played (dog is mannerly with sheep and other goats!) , it is all such fun viewing. glad she will grow out of abusing her mum though.
Too many animals isn't enough animals!

Moderate tendencies towards hyperactivity :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS