Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to get a new mother into stable from outside ark  (Read 6485 times)

robert waddell

Re: How to get a new mother into stable from outside ark
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 01:12:54 am »
not much of a chase    you should see iron age pigs have a go even when it is not there pigletts that are treading air :farmer:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: How to get a new mother into stable from outside ark
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 10:29:24 am »
Thanks all - I picked the babies up to get them to scream - amazingly they didn't let rip like piglets normally do - only a few hours old I guess. However this morning food won over family and Gloucester Old Spot trailed the plastic trough up to the barn, bless her, babies as good as fogotten all for a few apples. I then collected them and all are happily reunited and settled. By the way I crossed her with a Saddleback and all 7 of the piglets are Saddleback markings, not a spotty pig in sight.

Yes, it has been muscial stables - and now to buy another ark! Gee I can't wait til lambing!!!

:pig:
Take a plastic 44 gallon drum kand cut it length ways in half...... put a wire around the top  of the drum and lead that to your bike...... Get a fork with 4 prongs and a long 6' - 8' foot handle.  Lift the piglets one by one in to the drum not disturbing her too much......   and then tow the drum to her new destination.  She will come tothe sound of her piglets. You might have to wait a minute until they beign to  miss her  and find the discomfort of the drum  instead of her warmth.  they will begin to grunt and squeal.....She will get up and you need to be read to tow..... she will follow.... Once in the new hut she should stay there.... make sure there is straw in the hut to keep her  and her piglets warm and comfortable.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS