Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: will they fight enroute?  (Read 2529 times)

princesspiggy

will they fight enroute?
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:01:34 am »
we are sending 4 pigs away next week, one 9the biggest) of which is kept in a different paddock to the other 3. im concerned they might fight enroute in the trailer (no partion) so should i put them together now in the same field for the last week? or will they be ok?
thanx

HappyHippy

Re: will they fight enroute?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:40:44 am »
I'd be tempted to mix them now, just to save them getting (any more) stressed with the whole thing.
Adrenaline can make the meat taste funny, so all you can do to minimise it and keep them calm would be worth doing IMHO
HTH
Karen  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:42:16 am »
Yes, I would put them together now.  Pigs need a flight distance to settle who's boss, and don't have that in a trailer, and arriving with cuts up side and blood will not look good.

Under the Welfare of Animals Transport Order 2006, which implements EU 1/2005 it is illegal to transport:

•   Pigs of different sizes and ages together, unless they are accustomed to each other
•   Pigs hostile to each other together

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:48:43 am »
Yes, I agree, put them together now so that they get a chance to settle.

Let us know how you get on.

:)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:21:09 am »
I would never send more than two pigs off at a time. The reason for this is that they go through together, the first pig is stunned and before the second can think "What....." he is done too.A third will have time to start to worry and any others will panic.
I keep all mine together and trailer train the ones that are ready to go and, I hope, they  go off calmly.
I know that keeping bigs and littles together needs a bit of space and work but it's only for  short time, they soon settle down together.
I dare say other's may not agree but this works for me :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:51:32 pm »
thanx, i will mix them today. not a great deal difference in size, just one is older and diff breed, so kept in different paddocks.now getting all 4 into a trailer at same time will be a challenge lol
thanks

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:47:31 pm »
Just make sure their breakfast the day before is lighter than normal and keep 'em hungry - they'll follow the rattling bucket no problem  ;) I find it easier to send a small person (usually the ginger one  :D) up the ramp with the bucket ('pied piper' stylee) the pigs trott in quite happily and while they are nosing through the straw for the handfull of nuts from the bucket - she makes her escape over the rails  :thumbsup:
Good luck - but I'm sure it'll be fine !

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 06:48:14 pm »
Let us know how you get on.

:)

put them together and the gilts were fine but the gos and tam boar didnt get on at all. they are both same strength and were getting too physical so we split them up after 15 mins. kept them in adjoining paddocks for a few hours but they were still pacing up and down.
so decided to take them separately to abattoir and let them have peace for their last week. dont want to encourage boar taint either cos they were stinking after 15 mins. luckily abattoir isnt too far away.
with only a pony trailer there is no pig proof partition. are the partitions in livestock trailers pig proof?
thanx

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 03:32:32 am »
we are sending 4 pigs away next week, one 9the biggest) of which is kept in a different paddock to the other 3. im concerned they might fight enroute in the trailer (no partion) so should i put them together now in the same field for the last week? or will they be ok?
thanx
Give them some STRESNIL and this will make them all go to sleep on their  journey.  Dont give them a lot as you want them to walk on to the trailer and off at the off at the other end.  Short of that  give them some beer full strength a little while before you leave.  Train them for a week when feeding. Pissed pigs going down the road.  When they come too they will all be mates and none  the wiser about being from 2 different pens.  Stresnil does the same thing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS