Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Berkshire Boar needed  (Read 2435 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
Berkshire Boar needed
« on: November 19, 2011, 05:23:43 pm »
I live in West Carmarthen and am looking for a Berkshire boar, if any one has a registered one could they let me know please
Julia

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Berkshire Boar needed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 01:52:04 am »
Deerpark have Berkshire semen too, I think - they certainly have several Berkshire boars.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:22:33 am »
Hi Julia  :wave:

Sally is correct - Deerpark have 3 bloodlines at the moment - might be 4. I have used them successfully here in France and they have received the semen the next day. Very helpful on the phone too.

You could also try http://www.berkshirepigs.org.uk/notice.asp they also have a members list. http://www.berkshirepigs.org.uk/members.asp

all the best

Lorraine

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:21:38 am »
I live in West Carmarthen and am looking for a Berkshire boar, if any one has a registered one could they let me know please
Julia
Semen is your best bet...... then you dont have to feed or house the boar.   If you only have a sow or 2 then keeping a boar is a waste  unless you can lease him out and then you run the risk of a bug coming into your other sows.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »
Have you tried Chris Impey? Excellent breeder of prizewinning stock. His pigs are in Cwmbran, south-east Wales, so probably about two hours from you. Let me know if you want his number.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 11:10:41 pm »
they have received the semen the next day.

next day to france? thats good

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS