Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our 2012 pigs  (Read 6638 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Our 2012 pigs
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »
We haven't had pigs for a couple of years and before than, we always had the same - Tamworths.

Since we're in a new place, I'd like to try something different. We've got an area in the wood that we'll use next year, once we get it fenced but my query is really about breeds.

I'd love to get two Middle Whites, because I like them, basically. But my understanding is that they are pork pigs and will be ready for slaughter at about 6 months of age and will produce lovely pork in manageable sized joints. Presumably I can have sausages made with the "offcuts"?

However, we like bacon and sausages. A lot. So I wondered about getting a couple of Large Blacks to run on to say, nine months of age, and basically having them turned into exclusively bacon and sausage. I will certainly be able to sell the surplus.

Is this a good plan?

I'm also concerned about sourcing the weaners - I'd like to get them all at the same time, so no-one's got the territorial advantage. What's the chances of getting both breeds from one breeder?

HappyHippy

Re: Our 2012 pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:13:26 pm »
Whichever breed you choose and grow on, can be butchered exactly how you like it Rosemary  ;)
If you want bacon & sausage you can grow your middle whites on (making sure they don't get too fat  ;)) You can slaughter Large Blacks at 8 months and get pork, sausages and smaller bacon from them........ there's no hard and fast rules - just do what suits your tastes best (you'll not get bad bacon or sausages from anything) :thumbsup:
You can turn an entire pig into sausages (I've done it with Kunes and that's NOT because the meat isn't nice - I just prefer sausages to roast pork joints  :-[)
Getting them all from the one breeder might be possible..... you've just got to find one with both  :D Now, if it was Large Blacks and Berkshires, Oxford Sandy & Blacks, Tamworths or Kune Kunes you wanted... I could help you out  ;) ;D ;D ;D Just not got any Middle Whites.......yet !  :o ::)  :D :D :D
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:42:47 pm »
as Karen says what ever cuts you want you you can get from any pig the lighter the pig the smaller the eye of bacon or joints with crackling and the bigger well you know  now as to breed Lillian has just completed butchering a Hampshire 160kilos liveweight 99 kilos deadweight skinned and without the trotters when the bacon comes out the cure i will post photos and sizes
i know all other breeders will be pushing what ever they breed but this is the first Hampshire that we have sliced and diced and very very impressive it is with no loss of flavour compared to tamworth or even hamlops
and even the hamlops are performing very well with excellent weight gains 14 kilos in 11 days :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 05:50:12 pm »

I am probably going to regret this, but what's a hamlops Robert?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
no regrets a cross betwean a Hampshire and a British lop  white pig with pricked ears and hams to die for
they will be ready for Xmas or ideal for stuffing for the turkey     oh forgot you have had you Xmas dinner ;) :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 06:40:34 pm »

Sounds great Robert!  We've got half a pig coming to us shortly from Andrew, but once we're finished that, I get a feeling we'll be looking your way for a couple of Hampshire weaners!  :thumbsup:.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 07:20:30 pm »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 07:24:58 pm »
Rosemary - you want to check what the max weight is your local abattoir can handle, ours only goes to 100kgs absolute max. If you leave them on for bacon and sausages you may find you have to take them somewhere else for slaughtering.

We have had GOS, Middle white/GOS Xes, lops, saddlebacks and now this year OSB's - all absolutely excellent meat! And I would go for a non-pink pigs if you are keeping them through summer and have not got too much shade, our Xes  and the lops got sunburnt ears...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 07:35:55 pm »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
Rosemary - you want to check what the max weight is your local abattoir can handle, ours only goes to 100kgs absolute max. If you leave them on for bacon and sausages you may find you have to take them somewhere else for slaughtering.
Good thinking - will do that this week.

We've plenty shelter - they're going in the wood.

Will discuss with the Boss - I did want Middle Whites though  ::)

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 07:43:38 pm »
hampshire xduroc  then x with gos :farmer:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 08:51:44 pm »
Have you seen the hams/backend on Pietrains? Not sure what would happen if you crossed them though...

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 07:02:56 am »
Have you seen the hams/backend on Pietrains? Not sure what would happen if you crossed them though...

we had GOS X large white with pietrien    hams huge and lovely temprement and large tasty lean chops. crackling on joints and chops crisp up with no added salt   yummy :yum: :yum: :yum:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 12:31:42 pm »
Hi Guys, I have kept both Saddlebacks and GOS, the saddlebacks are lovely baconers, there was a guy selling SB X Pietrain in Glos near me was very tempted but restrained myself, apparently the Pietrain boar does not give the piglets any of his colour  the piglets only carry the colour of the sow how that works I'm not to sure.  Lovely hams on the pietrain, may not be able to resist in the summer and give it a go or maybe AI one of my sows.  I am big GOS fan find them lovely and calm and very friendly they do take a little longer but well worth it the sausages are delicious.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:30:54 pm »
I really want British breeds - so that rules out the Duroc and the Pietrain.

Good news is that I've heard through the grapevine (Robert) that the Middle White sow is in pig, so I should be able to get my Middle Whites. Having discussed this with a few folk - HappyHippy and Andrew - I've decided to go for just the MW, from the same litter. Minimum 2 - that's all we need, and I don't really want to become a meat retailer. We started keeping stock to fill our own freezer, with surplus being sold and I kinda got carried away  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS