Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bracken for bedding..  (Read 6040 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Bracken for bedding..
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:56:44 pm »
Anyone experience of using cut bracken for pig bedding?  I read somewhere that it used to be used extensively for animal bedding  - it would be wonderful to use it for something - it is a constant battle to keep at bay!  My main questions are when to cut it (if it matters) and whether there might be increased problems with ticks. 

Bedding was on my mind today as the pigs have moved into their palatial new straw bale house at the weekend and have been rearranging it as they like it (they chucked out the lovely 70s carpet offcut which we had under the straw to add to the traction and insulation, but have allowed the cream one to stay - they've got taste our pigs!!).  The load of straw which we put in has been compressed into one corner, so more straw added... but is bracken a possibility?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Bracken for bedding..
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:11 pm »
Dried bracken use to be used as bedding for pigs and other animals, so yes is the short answer.

Have not tried it myself, and don't know how long you'd need to dry it for, particularly at this time of year.

Suggest a test session, cut some and put in a dry place for a week - see what happens?

and of course let us all know !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:03:45 pm »
Never tried it but have wondered about it.

Positives:
  • freely (though labour-intensively) available
  • bracken brings nutrients and minerals up from deep deep down, so when the used bedding is composted (through pigs' intestines or otherwise!) and spread on the ground, those nutrients are made available
  • using local, readily available materials that didn't involve any unnatural processes to grow or to harvest

Negatives / things to be aware of:
  • I think it's the spores of bracken which are carcinogenic but I would certainly want to check this out thoroughly before using it as bedding
  • not very absorbent - so unlike straw, won't soak up any moisture

Do please keep us posted on how you get on!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »
yes the spores are carcinogenic :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »
yes the spores are carcinogenic :farmer:

and not any other part of the plant?

And - would it be right to assume the spores would not be on wilted dead bracken used as bedding?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »
if it was that good as bedding it would be in short supply       a small amount may be acceptable but huge quantities may not it also depends if the stems break up or if the pigs chew them as they do with straw :farmer:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 09:04:34 am »
As I understand it bracken is OK for pigs.  pigs are used to clear bracken and as long as they are still fed their normal feed it does them no harm. If I remember correctly bracken causes a deficiency in vit E but this is rectified by their normal rations.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:11:01 am »
Conflicting info.....

GardenOrganinc.org.uk says 'The fronds become less toxic with age but it is important that bracken cut for animal bedding should have died back entirely. The rhizomes are also poisonous and are a potential hazard to pigs that may uproot them and to cattle when ploughing exposes the rhizomes'

...which is a little worrying as bracken is present on the field our pigs root.

More reassuringly..(link to article)....  http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=are%20bracken%20spores%20carcinogenic%20to%20animals%3F%20&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grazinganimalsproject.org.uk%2Fnibblers_archive.html%3Fdownload%3B48&ei=W0C6ToXGAsvv8QPbmqDXBw&usg=AFQjCNEuUbZpDNShdiFrPRf42cCXLpMc9g&sig2=PEw4LObIG_B2BY6q9fnnIA&cad=rja

Think I will give it a go - diminished use as bedding has been cited as one of the reasons for Bracken running out of control, so a double benefit!  Will probably use in addition to straw, just to boost the cushioning and insulation. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 09:15:26 am »
Sounds like a good plan; let us know how you get on.

Will it be used for fattening pigs only or breeding pigs or both?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS