Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: oral painkiller for pigs.  (Read 14291 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
oral painkiller for pigs.
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:56:00 pm »
One of my boars has a bit of a limp. His front foot seems a bit sore, he will allow me to run my hand over it can't feel any heat or swelling.
Can you give a pig Ibuprofen or paracetamol tablets and if so how many.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: oral painkiller for pigs.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:44:17 am »
Think you would be better with a jab of metcam.

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are both used in weaned pigs for the treatment of respiratory diseases particularly ARDS, as part of a combination of treatments with other drugs, (not together) but they are used to reduce temperature not control pain.    I would not recommend you try it without vet recommendation, as it is unlikely to work effectively, and may have undesired effects.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:46:51 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:11:56 am »
You can oral metacam which you squirt down their throats with a measured dose syringe thing if you don't want to jab. Ask your vet i got some think it was £56  ::) but needs must occaisionally.
Mandy  :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »
Lots of pig people use dispersible aspirin - recommended to me by a vet.
I've given two at a time to growing pigs and adults - concealed in something tasty like banana, a cherry tomato, or a strawberry...depending on what's been available. Dose twice a day.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:23:12 am »
Thanks everyone for advice.
He is a lovely old boar but Ive never jabbed him so don't know how he will react. I will have a empty stable in a couple of days so will bring him down for some rest and will try a jab then,with the stable door open so one of us can get out in a hurry. :D :D
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS