Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Human Interaction...  (Read 4726 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Human Interaction...
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:48 pm »
I spend time everyday chatting to our two, they love a scratch and a brush. I would like to think that they enjoy spending time with me.  :pig: ;D

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 08:25:05 pm »
Don't get me wrong...

My OSB's are for the table.. But do they benefit from human interaction..

I'm a first time pig keeper and enjoy spending time with them, giving them a good scrub with a brush and a tickle behind the ear...

But is it best to leave them alone .. ??

Greg
A happy pig tastes better & grows better than a misreable & stressed one .

One of my pig farming pals who had 40 odd stys used to hang a large dunlop none steel toe etc wellie in each sty on a heavy poly prop rope at about three foot six from the ground for the pigs to play with .

He also used a fairly stiff sweeping brush to rub their backs whilst he talked to them.

I've spent hours watching them knocking the wellies around and biting at them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:28:52 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 11:19:02 am »
We give our pigs back scratches etc. too. One reason people buy our pork is because they can see what a happy life the pigs have had. There is also evidence that pigs which are well treated grow better than those which aren't - so there's even a commercial benefit. I find it quite therapeutic after a tough day at work to have a quiet chat with our pigs. So go for it, Greg!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »
Don't get me wrong...

My OSB's are for the table.. But do they benefit from human interaction..

I'm a first time pig keeper and enjoy spending time with them, giving them a good scrub with a brush and a tickle behind the ear...

But is it best to leave them alone .. ??

Greg
If they have some sort of interaction with you they will be easier to handle when it comes time to load them.....for the slaughter house.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 01:51:23 pm »
Why do we feel the need to justify our desire and delight in giving attention, affection and fuss to our livestock?

Actually, I don't feel the need to justify it, but I do have to keep telling people that I know they're for eating and I'm okay about that - and will send them when the time comes.  (Not without a backward glance, far from it.  But I send them away knowing that I couldn't have had them as pets, and that they've had as happy a life as it's been possible for me to give them.)

Some are not for sending away - Hillie will never go through a mart, she owes us nothing and we owe her freedom from distress and a dignified end when it comes.  But she's paid for her suppers through the milk that's fed so many calves, lambs, hound pups, people, chickens, made so much butter and cheese, etc.

BH used to be a secret 'fusser' of his livestock.  Now that I am on the scene he's as open about it as I am.  And the more I see of other farmers, the more I discover that many of them, too, enjoy giving their livestock a bit of fuss and attention. 

I heard that stroking a dog or a cat lowers your blood pressure - I'm sure the same must be true of playing with pigs, scratching a cow, whatever.  So not only is it enjoyable for them and for us, makes them more manageable and taste better, it's good for us too!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 02:15:55 pm »
Sally
You are so right says she who was sat out in her waterproofs in the straw and the rain outside the fatteners house scratching their tummies and watching them gallop about in their new deep grass pen, you never saw such pleased piggies, despite the weather and the mud felt good to be alive and i think it did lower my blood pressure ;D
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS