Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small Kune Kune  (Read 4294 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Small Kune Kune
« on: October 26, 2011, 03:44:02 pm »
Hi everyone. I have a Kune Kune who si just about a year old and in fine health... eats very well, shiny coat and active but he is really small. He is probably about half the size of the other Kune who is about 4 years old. He did have a quick growth spurt over the summer but that seems to have stopped now. I was just wondering if this is a problem or just his genetics  ::) He is a pet so not intended for eating and if he stays this size it will not be a problem, small but perfectly formed  ;D Thanks for any advice  :wave:

HappyHippy

Re: Small Kune Kune
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 04:12:25 pm »
If he's castrated that will make him a bit more 'stunted' and the younger he was when he was 'done' the more obvious it is, I find. But some do seem to be smaller than others - especially when they're all growing.
He'll keep growing til he's about 2 and a half, and as long as he's healthy size isn't that important  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:56:48 pm »
we have a 7 month castrate kune kune and he is small compared to his sisters and at this stage a lot small than his mum, dad etc

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:59:22 pm »
I had 4 KK males that were the same age and from the same litter.  1 of them was over half the size of the others bless him.  We had 3 castrated (rehomed 2) and kept the biggest male as our stud and the castrate as a uncle.  He is still tiny and still less than half the size of his entire brother.  Both  boys are still under a year old and have lots of growing to do.  I think (my opinion) that as long as he is healthy, eating and pooing well he'll be ok :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
our "sausages" are all still small at a year old (in a few days - happy birthdays pigs!) ... much smaller than their parents were.

so doesn't look like they'll be going "off" like we hoped - we'd be laughed out the abbatoir!!
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:40 pm »
LB - I sent some small ones away last week, they were only around 6 months though. Liveweight was "around" 45-50Kg, so will see what the deadweights were when I collect the pork & let you know  ;)
When we took our 11 month old ones last time round there were GOS (or GOS crosses) there that looked much smaller than the Kunes, everybody does different sizes - but they all taste equally as good  ;)
Not 'pet' ones though - obviously  ;) They wouldn't taste good at all  ;D  :yum: :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »
the pet ones will taste just as good (to others) :farmer:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:49:05 pm »
thanks Karen - I really don't know what to do for the best with these 3.
Ideally, they should go but they are titchy - having been born in October & having a hard winter they just didn't grow very quick. July piglets are catching them up already!

Need to find a friend with a trailer anyway...
:)
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:51 pm »
I was going to ask when it was their birthday - thought it was around now.  I will throw a little party for our two girls!!

Tinker is enormous, and Lucy is not far behind.  They used to be able to run into their ark side by side, but even for one its a squeeze!!

Cannot understand why their brothers are not as big?  Ours do not have a huge amount to eat - I am very careful not to overfeed.

When you say small - do you mean in height or weight (or both)

Will take a pic of the muddy pair tomorrow, and then you can go compare!!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:42:45 am »
Thanks for all your replies guys. Yes he is definately a healthy happy pig just a bit small, stocky but small (height wise). I think he was castrated at a very young age so your right this has probably had an affect. The two weaners we had this year went off on their last journey this week and it was interesting to note the female was bigger than her castrate brother by some margin. The Kunes are very excited now to have taken over the larger pig area and housing, I had to get them up for breakfast this morning as they love their new home  ::)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01:03 pm »
@Roxy...
yes, please photograph the birthday girls, and I'll compare them to our short-arses!!  their weight seems fine, in proportion to their height, they are not as "leggy" as they were a few months back, they are perfectly "pig shaped" just very small,
we have two girls & one entire boar...
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:57:04 pm »
So there was only one b?oar in the litter?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 10:43:09 pm »
yes, one boar and 4 gilts
Little Blue

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 11:03:59 pm »
Our three Kunes all came from the same litter and are around a year old now.

Two of them, Hamish and Hagrid, are about the same size but the other, Hector, is significantly smaller. There's nothing wrong with him - it's just a matter of scale.

I just put it down to him being the runt of the litter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS