Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wobbly pig  (Read 8796 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
wobbly pig
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:01:26 pm »
I've just been round and fed the pigs and noticed a youngster I'm growing on for meat a bit wobbly on his feet.
He stands with his back legs together and his back end wobbles as though he had had a few too many, doesn't fall over.
I'm going to pop out and give him a big shot of pen and strep and see how he is in the morning.
Anyone any ideas what it might be. ???
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

Re: wobbly pig
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »
It could be anything  ???
Has it just come on today ? Have they been getting windfall apples ? Are there any other symptoms to go with the wobbles ? Are any other pigs showing similar symptoms ?
Sorry I can't be more help, but I wouldn't want to try and diagnose anything without more info  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:00:40 pm »
Hi Karen,
Yes they have had a few windfall apples. Only noticed it today but may have missed it yesterday. Other pigs are ok at the moment. He does look a bit thinner than the others but not worryingly so.
I have had pigs with meningitis before and that was my first thought but not so sure.I've given him a big shot of pen and strep and he's curled up in the ark so will see how he is when I go to bed and jab him again in the morning.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:06:21 pm »
It could be that the windfall's were starting to ferment ? So he would be a little bit drunk maybe ?
If it was meningitis you'd be expecting shivering, eyes rolling and for him to be down (rather than standing) could be you've caught it early and that's why it's not as advanced  ;) Or it could be salt poisoning (similar signs) if you've had it hot and he's been without water.

We'd a scare a few weeks ago with a young Kune gilt - she just seemed 'vacant' and a little bit wobbly. We'd run out of feed and had to buy a bag of Farmgate stuff instead of their usual, she'd only had one meal from the bag but after seeing her (she's the smallest of all our pigs, so would have been the first to be affected I think) the rest went in the bin and they got apples until the feed delivery arrived (only 24 hours so not too bad) she was right as rain after about 6 hours.  :thumbsup:
Hope he perks up in the morning - let us know how you get on.
Karen  :wave:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:51:55 am »
Not a good start to the day,found my wobbly pig dead in the ark when on the feeding round. Checked on him before I went to bed and he was snuggled up in his straw and ok.
The others all seem fine but I will keep a close eye on them this week.
I do hate loosing animals but as the farmers here keep telling me you can't have livestock without deadstock. :(

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:58:34 am »
Might be worth having a post mortem, we had a similar thing a couple of years ago and a vet student wanted to practice so we got it done for nothing, turned out there were cauliflower like lesions on the pigs heart which has made him suseptible to pneumonia and really it had just been a matter of time before he would have keeled over.
Sorry for you loss, its always awful.
Keep your chin up
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:20:40 am »
we have had these cauliflower cases as well                many years ago
i would have said pneumonia  it can show as limping or staggering    BUT THERE IS A SET DOSE TO GIVE
it may well have been overdosed as well
pig can and just keel over
and salt poisoning          a big risk in excessively hot weather :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:28:25 am »
Oh BB, I'm sorry to hear that  :'(
I agree with Mandy though, sudden onset like that it's defiantely worth doing a pm.
Do you have sheep near you ? Just thinking clostridium..... it can cause a sudden death like that.
Karen x

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:48:35 am »
Thanks everyone. Didn't think of pneumonia, what would be the reason for that? Yes Karen all the farms round me have sheep but not in fields adjoining the pigs.
Robert when I said big dose of pen and strep I didn't mean overdose, I reckoned him to be 40kg so gave him 2ml enough for 50kg so I don't think it was that.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:00 pm »
If it was pneumonia you'd likely have noticed rapid breathing, coughing and lack of interest in food.
Causes can be poor environment or over stocking, lack of ventilation in their arcs, bringing in a new pig who's carrying it or it can be high levels of dust and bacteria in the air (not so common with outdoor pigs)
If your pigs get nose to nose with sheep don't rule out clostridium - but a pm will confirm it if you go down that road. If you are going to pm, sooner rather than later is key.
HTH
Karen

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:10:45 pm »
He didn't have a cough but he was off his food yesterday which was why I noticed him initially as they are all usually fighting me as I go through the gate. Don't think its ventilation as they have been sleeping outside during the hot weather and all the arks have good ventilation. I bought a new gilt last week but she is nowhere near them. I think I will put it down to experience and not bother with a pm unless I have anymore problems.
I think one of the things is my herd has grown a lot over the last year or so and obviously with more stock more problems are going to arise, that's life I suppose.

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 01:33:06 pm »
yes BB as you get more stock you get more problems
99.9% certain it was pneumonia it is in the air this year there has been a lot of it
our symptoms were lame not eating and wanting to rest all the time it just comes down to observation  and acting on that hunch there is something just not right
check there temperature first before jabbing :farmer:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 04:07:31 pm »
Thanks Robert, what is the best thing to inject them with if needs be?

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »
you can inject against  pneumonia     dont know what that is called
once they have it  tylan and fluinixan         hope thats the right spelling    your vet will advise :farmer:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 07:36:23 pm »
Thanks Robert will look into it and be prepared next time. :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS