Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is a 'starting number'  (Read 2707 times)

clareymason

• Joined Sep 2011
What is a 'starting number'
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »
Hi, I'm sure it's an obvious answer but I'm want to get it right. I'm about to take my first pigs to slaughter and am trying to order some metal ear tags for them but the tag company have asked me for a starting number. What is this?
Thanks  :pig:

robert waddell

Re: What is a 'starting number'
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 07:58:21 pm »
the number you want to start from   that could be 1 or 01 or 001 depends how many you are going to eat in a lifetime or it could be 123 you have a choice :farmer:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:46:26 pm »
I've never heard of a starter number! (and I started four years ago). If you are putting tags in - surely they mean your herd number?  Two digit code for your county followed by a four digit number specific to you. Or perhaps they are just asking you how many tags you want?  if so, over order, as you can keep them until the next lot of pigs, and if youare using metal tags, they always manage to scratch them off!

clareymason

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »
Thanks very much. It's not the quantity of the CPH number, another website calls it the 'animal start number.' Being new to all this I'm a little nervous of getting it wrong.

I'll just stick a 1 in that box!

Thanks for the help  :pig:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:25:00 pm »
What they mean is :  if you are ordering ten tags , do you want 1-10 ,  or 11-20 or 21-30 or 171- 180. so the order will start with any number you choose that suits you , but follow up orders should continue from the last number of your last order,  so if your first order is 1 to 10 the next time you order should start with 11.
Got it? ........ good.
the uk and herd no will be on the order sheet anyway, and the tags you are ordering will only be applied to animals born on your holding.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:28:24 pm by tizaala »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 08:35:06 am »
Basically doesn't matter unless you are showing pigs.

Legally pigs do not need any individual ID.

So if you are doing say meat pigs, and tagging just before slaughter, then no point in having individual no.s

However some people tag for management purposes and tag their litters eg to be able to say that no;6 was off its food this morning.

If you get into showing, then indiv ID tags can be used for this purpose.

Many on-line manufactures offer numbers as standard - so just go for any number you like, or leave blank, the key is that the tag has you herd no. (one or two letters, 4 numbers) on it.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS