Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Guilt off colour?  (Read 3612 times)

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Guilt off colour?
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:59:07 pm »
Just over a yr old, AI about 6 weeks ago,

For the last 2 days I've noticed she's been off colour, today she didn't come out of her bedroom to feed yesterday she only had a few nuts

AI was done about 6 weeks ago I'm still not sure if she is in pig though, she has got bigger and nipples look slightly bigger too but is that her getting older?

I'm not sure if she is off colour due to her season if she's not in pig or is it because she is in pig she came out tonight for a wee and a drink...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Guilt off colour?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:05:17 pm »
Never had this sort of thing happen to me (yet) sorry.  Only had 1 litter and that wasn't planned as the sow came to me in pig.  Hope it's something simply and sortedo ut quickly

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:15:34 pm »
Love the fact that she has a bedroom   ;D

You really need to take a temperature - use a digital termometer and this is quite easy.  Let us know what it reads and forum members will help to get to a diagnosis if we can.

Good that she is peeing and drinking.  Life expectancy - 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, so if she is breathing and drinking you needn't worry about her not eating for a couple of days - but do need to get to a cause to make sure she doesn't go further downhill.

You may well find her back to normal tomorrow - pigs can have off days like we do!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:18:19 pm »
Thanks welshlass,

Were thinking all sorts... Is she in pig is she not has she aborted...no signs of this tho she did have a very small amount of blood on her back end but no signs of any in her bedroom or in the paddock!

Bit of a worrying time...hopefully she will be eating tomorrow

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:20:37 pm »
Thanks oaklands

Just trying to sort thermometer out now OH on the phone!

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:21:39 pm »
Where's the best place to get her temp reading please...!

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:28:40 pm »
rectum :farmer:

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »
Cheers Robert

I've googled it! 39.5c is normal temp too apparently!

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:39:00 pm »
if there is traces of blood she has not conceived  :farmer:

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 06:42:39 pm »
The blood we saw was only a small amour and was lower than her fufi!! Not on it, I'm not too worried if she's not in pig just that she's ok!

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:32:14 pm »
when mine were in pig the first time summer 2010 (two sows - litter sisters) they got a virus(off colour, not moving about, not eating etc) - the vet came out and gave them antibiotics - but didn't say what she thought it was. She strongly felt they would abort their piglets. I just had to sit tight. The first one that farrowed had been poorly a whole 24 hours longer than the other - I had sat tight before calling the vet. She had seven piglets - but three of them were mummified. I assumed it was the virus or the antibiotics. The others were great and strong and no problems.
The other sow had 13 live piglets. (2 runts died later though)
A year later I got a new pig book (thought I'd read them all!) that said mummified piglets are caused by porcine parvovirus (my sows weren't vaccinated) that tends to occur when gilts go to the boar before they are a year old - after that they apparently build up their own immunity to it. I wish I had known this - BUT this sow has gone on to have a live litter of 12 piglets this time :-)
The other sow that reared 11 however hasn't caught pregnant this time - and I wonder whether she has fertility problems now.
I don't really know - am just sharing some thoguhts with you. :-)
I hope your gilt is better soon. x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS