Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: electric trained  (Read 2282 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
electric trained
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:45:46 pm »
ive seen the comment ELECTRIC FENCE TRAINED...... what is that do i just herd the pig up to the fence a few times so it gets a belt.... or do i let it find out for itself........ do hairy pigs kks still get a good belt, i know i have though my jeans a few times...ime trained.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: electric trained
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:54:01 pm »
No idea if this is for everybody ....... but ....... mine are kept in with stock fencing and electric wire.  When they first arrived they had no idea what the elec wire was lol much to our amusement.  Now none of them will even go near the fence :) they know that the cable hurts them and they stay far away.  I'm going to fence off a bit of the field with just cable to see if they do test it :) this way i don't risk the "other side of the fence where my mother in laws garden is" as i'd be a dead woman if something happened.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:01:06 pm »
weshlass do not rely on electric wire alone to keep pigs in       if the fence earths out or you have a power cut they can sense it and they are out
harry the pigs find out for themselves     hairy pigs will get a jab as well as long as the fence has high power :farmer:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:05:24 pm »
I'm electric fenced trained even if the animals aren't, for some stupid reason I popped my hand on the fence to step over it last night ::) shocking experience

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:05:48 pm »
ive seen the comment ELECTRIC FENCE TRAINED...... what is that do i just herd the pig up to the fence a few times so it gets a belt.... or do i let it find out for itself........ do hairy pigs kks still get a good belt, i know i have though my jeans a few times...ime trained.
It just means they are used to (and respect) the electric fence. You can have a go yourself Harry, run the electric round and either hold them and touch their noses to the wire (you'll get a shock too though) or make a temporary 'pen' with the wire/tape and leave them to get on with it. If you go for the second option you'll need to make sure that there's something solid on the far side of the tape to ensure they go backwards away from the it and not through the tape to get away from it. Use horse tape as it's easier for them to see and also easier for you to check for breaks etc. You'll need 2 runs, one roughtly 6-8 inches from the ground and the other 10-12 inches above that. Make sure the grass round the perimeter is short and not touching the tape as it will reduce the voltage of the shock and can drain battery fed fences much quicker.
HTH
Karen

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:32:25 pm »
My field is stock fenced all around.  I was going to try to section off some of the field to see if they'd stay away.  My fence is battery and solar panel charged and there is no way in hell that i'd use elec fence alone.  I've got some tin sheets that i am going to make panels out of to make a pen for the piglets to go outside the field to munch on the lovely grass thats out there to get them fat so they can go :)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:26:00 pm »
ouch! at least you put your hand down first. We had a dog who got stuck over an electric fence with his 'bits' either side  ::)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 04:39:04 pm »
yeah too true but by the time my hand contacted the fence my leg was on the way over so I ended up barrel rolling and feeling a bit worse for wear, so definately electric fence trained now and will turn it off next time :o

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »
i did use some street barriers thetype they fence the street off with for events the heavy stuff about 8x3 panels that hook together....... had some rubber matting cut into squares put them under the 4 feet on the barriers and conected it to the fence charger thingy worked good....... that was to stop human preditors

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 04:44:50 pm »
had to many belts from mine thinking it was off..... now got a red light that flashes when low power, clipped on where i step over...so if its flashing i know ive turned it off

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS