Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One of my favourite photos :-)  (Read 3307 times)

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
One of my favourite photos :-)
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:50:53 pm »
We recently had two Tamworths who through for one reason or another couldn't be with their mother(s) so were bottle fed at home for two weeks.

When an OSB then farrowed we though "let's give it a go".....they were accepted immediately by her  :D we were so happy and relieved!!!

Now they are aproaching 8 weeks old - the Tamworth Two have been sold but their new owner also wants two OSBs so he's waiting for two of their adopted sisters to reach weaning.

The sow has been fantastic.....can you spot the new additions :P ??

Some of the males are still available - see advert in the marketplace

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: One of my favourite photos :-)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 07:19:04 pm »
that's lovely!

our piglets are all either ginger like mum (s)  or black & white like dad, so I'm abit biased :D
Little Blue

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 07:35:40 pm »
They are wonderful, all those wiggly tails!!! ;D ;D ;D

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:57:04 pm »
Well done, it really is a lovely picture, made me smile, thanks. :) :pig:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 11:01:11 pm »
Beautiful pic - actually there was a shot on Countryfile tonight very similar.

But, err.... adoptive mum and siblings look like GOS not OSB? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:26:47 am »
What cuties, especially the little one on the very left where you have caught them jumping on top!  :)

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:55:13 am »
Beautiful pic - actually there was a shot on Countryfile tonight very similar.

But, err.... adoptive mum and siblings look like GOS not OSB? 

Yes they do don't they  :D The sows mum is from a great big ginger pedigree OSB and Dad was Linda McDonald Brown's old boar yet she came out pink and black ??? Now she has been mated with another big, hairy, ginger pedigree boar and look what she's given us.....don't figure!?!

Just as well we breed them for their meat (which is fab!) and not their 'traditional' looks.....I actually love all the varieties of colours and markings - much more fun  ;D

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 05:54:34 pm »
Hiya. Really interested to read your story.
How old were the piglets when you adopted them? I considered it when I had two sows farrowing next door to each other. My large black x GOS had 12 piglets on the Friday 19th August morning early hours and my saddleback had 5 (but one died) on late on Sunday 21st August night. I considered evening out the load as it were and giving the saddleback a couple of the others. I didn't in the end as my large black is a docile quiet gentle mother and the saddleback a little more flighty - would've hated her to squish any of them. Do you think it would have worked at that stage?
As it si both sows are doing wonderfully well and the piglets are coming on great :-)

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:23:37 am »
Hi Leri

I would have probably given it a go and tried moving a couple of the strongest piglets from the first litter. I have no doubt that sow number two would have accepted them - but after two days with 'Mum' the piglets might not have felt the same way. If they latched on and started feeding straight away then brilliant otherwise I would have given it half an hour to an hour (staying with them to avoid any 'accidents') before giving up. The older piglets would by now probably be stressed and making a bit of noise and sow number two would be getting stressed and anxious too when she should just be flat out, resting and feeding the piglets.

Our 'house reared' piglets were 8 days old when we introduced them to the second sow. They were pretty small and actually around the same size as the newer piglets. The second litter were less than 10 hours old when we introduced the older two and they didn't react at all to the new additions  :D.

So, my answer would be give it a go, but don't ruin things by persisting for too long. Pigs are designed to deal with large litters and sometimes it's best just to leave mother nature to it. Over the years I have interfered less and less with the farrowing and have had greater success (and more sleep!)....the pigs definately know what they're doing. That's just my opinion, I'm sure others would advise you differently.

Glad to hear everything worked out well with your piggies.  :D

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »
Thanks - it's good to know for the future though, as some sows are better mothers than others and last time Ruby had a litter - her first - only three survived and her sister, not such a good mother had thirteen three weeks later, was very tempted even then as Ruby was so good and her sister not so great - but think that was a bit too late!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS