Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: she only had 2 piglets 2 days ago is this normal!  (Read 6578 times)

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
she only had 2 piglets 2 days ago is this normal!
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:18:09 pm »
my greman micro x pot bellie had 2 little piglets on sunday is this normal for a first litter, she eating and drinking and feeding them well!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:09:29 pm by jent1964 »

robert waddell

Re: she only had 2 piglets 2 days ago is this normal!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:13 pm »
i would say natural selection         the micro pigs are breed from the runts so not surprising that she had only two piglets
is she in a house flat or field :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:11:37 pm »
My gilt (KKxGOS) has just had her first litte and she had 10 live and 1 still born.  I agree with Robert re the whole "micro" thing. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:16:20 pm »
Come on, we've been through the whole "micro" pigs already. The lassie asked a legitimate question - all seems to be well, so let's not give her a hard time.

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 02:24:57 pm »
My first GOS Sow had 2 the first time and then went on to farrow 8 plus regularly.
As long as Mum is well and the piglets are feeding thats fine

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:38:32 pm »
yes i was just asking a question..... she is in a filed within 10 acres! and the sows mum was a german micro pig and for people who dont know the breed they are very big pigs and not micro as the name suggests! she is not a small pig and a size of a pot bellie like her dad!
I am not stupid and would not keep any pig in a house of flat! I asked a question here as you ahve always been very helpful in the past and wanted just some friendly advice! >:(

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:26:53 pm »
Like i said.  My KKxGOS had her first litter and she had 10.  I don't know if her litter is normal or if yours is

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:52:35 pm »
my greman micro x pot bellie had 2 little piglets on sunday is this normal for a first litter, she eating and drinking and feeding them well!
There are lots of reasons she's just had 2 - providing she's passed both afterbirths and isn't showing any signs of distress, temperature or 'straining' that's the main thing - don't want to maybe miss some others (but this is just me thinking of worst case scenario stuff, please don't panic if she seems fine & content)
The main things I can think of that would affect litter size are (in no particular order  ;))
Age of gilt at service (younger gilts tend to have less)
Condition of gilt (too fat can cause a drop in fertility as can too thin)
Feeding around conception (I always up the protien levels - even with my KK's)
Age and breeding record of boar used
Stress or moving within 4 weeks of conception (it can affect how the embryo's implant in the womb)
So it could be any number of factors really, but as long as she is fit & looking well, I wouldn't be overly worried this time.
HTH
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »
as hh said boar fertility is one reason        to old a gilt also produces small litters as does being to fat at service
that is good you are keeping her in a field   and a large one
rosemary i was not giving jent 1964 a hard time  you know what like i am when i give somebody a hard time :farmer:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:16:47 pm »
Our girl just had a litter of three (kune kune)
  It is technically her second litter, but the first lot had mummifed, and she farrowed the same night as her sister & fostered her survivor.

One of this litter is particularly massive, they are all fairly big &have been nibbling solid food since day 3 once they established mud isn't edible!  They have "come on" really quickly.

Some pigs do have large litters, some have small. Don't worry too much, see what happens next time.
We know Maud isn't likely to have big litters, but she's proved she'll make her piglets independent, and porky!  :)
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:44:03 pm »
i was not giving jent 1964 a hard time  you know what like i am when i give somebody a hard time :farmer:
Remember our discussion on Saturday, Robert?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:47 pm »
yes annie i remember        but you are only as good as the person teaching you  and every day is a learning day  :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 11:04:05 pm »
yes annie i remember        but you are only as good as the person teaching you  and every day is a learning day  :farmer:
Yup, but the teacher has to be a good teacher as well as an expert in their subject. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 11:11:20 pm »
or at least give the pupil the thirst for knowledge and the want to do better
sadly our education system now is devoid of these teachers and lecturers  :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 11:14:08 pm »
or at least give the pupil the thirst for knowledge and the want to do better
sadly our education system now is devoid of these teachers and lecturers  :farmer:
Perhaps some of us should come out of retirement then  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS