Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone done a home kill ?  (Read 15399 times)

HappyHippy

Anyone done a home kill ?
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »
I've been asked about this and wondered if anyone had any info, advice or contacts for the central Scotland region.
Thanks in advance folks
Karen  :wave:

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
Re: Anyone done a home kill ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:33:59 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a home kill ?  We've killed our own pigs, a few year's ago, and plan to do so again.  We do kill and butcher our own sheep and wild deer, etc., regularly.  Only for our own consumption tho.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:49:22 pm »
that's exactly it Jane, killing & butchering on your own premises.
Under English regs, you can only do this for your own comsumption, and it must be done humanely.

How did you kill yours?
Little Blue

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »
In Wales it has to be done with a free roaming bullet (rifle or shotgun) or a captive bolt gun.  The farmer and his immediate house-hold are allowed to eat the meat.  You can kill them by gassing too but not 100% sure on the regulations on that ....... seems a bit ewww to me.  Better off shooting them.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »
just as little blue said       you have to dispose of the guts legally and skin it  unless you have a scalding tank      not everybody that holds a FAC is allowed to kill animals there is a technique to it    also the hygiene of the premises used a shitty old byre would not be a good place to perform this :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:56:19 pm »
whats a free roaming bullet for shotguns?????

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:21 pm »
whats a free roaming bullet for shotguns?????

Not sure how it is a stated or categorised but you can do it with a shotgun (obviously you need a licence for a shotgun)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:23:05 pm »
just thinking ahead.... i have a shotgun..... can i kill a badly injured pig and then dispose by burning as i have with poultry

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:45 pm »
My OH uses a .22 or a deer rifle, depending on the animal.  And we used to rear a lot of sea ducks in a Brooder House (indoor deep water baths etc with quarantine facilities).  When we retired from that we converted the building into a Butchery, complete with all equipment and a Chill Room.  It's very smart !  Here on the island a lot of folk used to kill and butcher their own sheep, me included.  We skinned the last pigs - which is why I'd quite like the next lot to go to the abattoir for the crackling  :yum:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 08:25:39 pm »
Harry, you can kill an injured pig but you can't dispose of it by burning.
I was told by our trading standards people that ONLY THE SLAUGHTERER can eat the meat from a home kill, not even their family (though who's going to check I don't know).

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 08:29:00 pm »
I was told by our trading standards people that ONLY THE SLAUGHTERER can eat the meat from a home kill, not even their family (though who's going to check I don't know).
We got told it's the farmers/slaughtermans immediate household.  So if we killed one only myself, hubby and my son could eat it. 

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 10:52:05 pm »

We got told it's the farmers/slaughtermans immediate household.  So if we killed one only myself, hubby and my son could eat it.

Not correct. Only the person doing the slaughtering is allowed to eat it.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »
Got it from this link.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/homeslaughterlivestockwales.pdf

“Home slaughter” is the slaughter of a livestock animal by its owner on their property for their own personal consumption or that of members of their immediate family living there. Home slaughter cannot take place in an approved slaughterhouse.

Not sure which or what is right now

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:15:25 pm »
Welshlass
I am no authority on this subject but when viewing a property the owner told me that he had someone kill the pigs on the property and that only the family can consume them.  That fits in with what you have said.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 11:18:20 pm »
I only go on what we researched online

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS