Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: castraite  (Read 4307 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
castraite
« on: July 29, 2011, 08:44:46 pm »
i have just got some  6 week old kunes.....ive heard of BOAR TAINT, is it to late to castraite  and can i do it myself ie rubber band method .... or do i even need to they will probably be killed at 11 months.........

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: castraite
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:47:47 pm »
They need to be under a week old to do it yourself and Kunes are prone to complications.  If you are getting them done i'd suggest a vet.  Also as they're still very small it'll be cheaper than waiting (like i did).  HH will know more about this.  Boar taint does exist but i took some boars down to slaughter at about 9-10 months and there was nothing.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:51:40 pm »
Hi Harry,
You definitely can not castrate a pig with a rubber band. To castrate now you will need to go to your vet who will do the deed for you at a cost of course. Boar taint is present in boars and I know there has been a lot of replies on this subject. I know for definite that boar taint does exist.Happy Hippy where are you. You know more about kks that me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:53:55 pm by lill »

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:51:54 pm »
sorry cant do the rubber ring on pigs              also DO NOT attempt to use a knife/scalpel  without proper training   hh will be along to explain the ins and outs of kune castration             only the vet can castrate kunes and yes there is boar taint with entire males :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »
how would you describe boar taint in kunes........ i actually have 2 boys 6 week old and am picking up 2 more sunday from the same litter......but can have either 2 boys or girls...what would you get
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:02:12 pm by harry »

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:06:11 pm »
Edit - go for boars !
Ah, the ol' boar taint issue  ::) ;D
I can smell/detect it - but not everyone can. I'm just super sensitive in the smell department and it drives everyone mad ! (think it's something like 1 in 7 women and less in men that can) I'd say you're only likely to get it when running a mixed group (but wait to be corrected  ;)) or when boars are within 'sniffing distance' of a gilt. Loads of folk don't castrate and don't have problems - me, I only raise gilts for myself  ::)
Kunes and castrations - my prefered method (but it's only my opinion) is a closed castration, performed under general anesthetic by a vet in a surgery. The inguinal canal in a Kune is different to a standard pig and hernia's are quite common (especially if doing a standard 'cut, pull, cut' castration) It will cost around £50 per pig at 6 weeks for a closed castration (goes up with the weight of them for the anesthetic) but the drawback is that it can stunt their growth - fine if they are to be long term pets, but not so good if you do want to eat them.......eventually  ;)
But as everyone else has said, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF
Also, as Beewyched mentioned on one of your posts - 6 weeks is pretty darn early for a Kune to be sold. Mine usually get weaned between 6 and 8 weeks and stay here for at least another week to make sure they are doing okay without mum - just keep an eye on the little guys and double check with the breeder that they've definately been wormed.
HTH  :wave:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:17:07 pm »
ok..... i did ask if wormed and vaccinated he said no to both.......... do i need to to both now,,, they are on pig free ground but have had poultry on it......... theyve been free ranging now for a week and seem fine running around and now coming to me for feed... very energetic so seem ok at probably 7-8 weks now

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:21:47 pm »
George was done the week before he came to us, that would have made him 8 wks old, he has had no problems and is doing great. They are such a delight to have and make me laugh every day  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 09:36:52 pm »
Harry,
I wouldn't worry about the erysepilas vaccine for them. If they do happen to catch it a quick course of antibiotics will clear it up in no time. The real risk with erysepilas is to breeding stock, so since these guys are for the freezer it's no biggie.
I would worm them (you could get a worm count done via a poo sample first, just to be sure) and I would lean towards an injectable one rather than an oral treatment - just to be on the safe side.
As I said before - go for more boars when you go back for more piglets, if you get gilts you will need to either seperate them or castrate the boys. Kunes can be sexually mature as young as 3 months in some cases and you DON'T want any accidents  :-\
HTH
Karen  :wave:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »
where do i get the injectable wormer..... online or vets and what do i get...+ what size needle.. i will ask how to do it later

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 10:35:07 pm »
I use either Holmefield Farm Services (in York) Tel: 01904 481490 or these guys http://www.vetmedsdirect.co.uk/categories/FARM-ANIMAL/PIGS/WORMERS/
For Kunes as young as that I'd go for a 21G 5/8th inch needle (if you want to pm me your address I can post you a couple as they're mostly sold in boxes of 100  ;) You'll need a disposable syringe - most chemists sell them, a 5ml size should be sufficent.
Doing it (especially with pigs that young) is easy providing there are 2 of you.
1 person holds the piglet firmly and the other does the jag.
I can't remember if wormers are sub-cutanious or intra-muscular (threw out the info sheet  ::)) if it's a sub-cut you want to go in behind the ear, with the needle pointing backwards (towards their bum) and downwards and if it's an intra-muscular then it's on the hind leg (on the 'hip') Worth getting a vet or experienced pig keeper to show you first time though, just to be sure you're doing it right.
HTH
Karen

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »
ok will do.. i guessed it was a 2 man job...i think my local place sells needles separatly as i got some large ones to inject eggs with rat poison.if not i will scrounge some off you........ looking at adverts i wonder what ive got... advert = pedigree kune piglets £100 each........ i got 2 £25 each ?????? not interested in pedigree but wondered what ive got... as getting 2 or 4 more tommorow off the same litter
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:32:32 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS