Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meg's in pig!  (Read 2799 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Meg's in pig!
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:14:36 pm »
We had the cattle AI man here and asked him to scan Meg - and he says she's definitely in pig.  He says he can never tell how many with pigs, but it looked like a reasonable few, but not a very large litter.   Couldn't be better!  ;D  Proud mum!   ;D ;D

He gave us the headpiece to look in turn, we both saw different things and don't know if what BH saw or I saw was piglets, or neither!  (I think what I saw may have been her kidneys!)  Anyone got a good pregnant-pig-scan-pic they can recommend?  :D

She'll be due around 22nd Sept, although there is a very slim chance she did hold the first time, in which case end August.  (Scan man thought more likely second time, me too.  BH maintains we got her the first time.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Meg's in pig!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 07:58:23 pm »
Congratulations!! Looking forward to photos of the Meglets!

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:12:48 pm »
well done, very exciting !!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:52:02 pm »
Congratulations Sally.  Don't worry if she isn't carrying many, they do have smaller litters first-time round.  Just be careful about the height of your water-bucket when she's due (see my post about drowned piglets - it was an awful experience  :'( ).

Here's to the sound of little trotters  :hshoe:

:love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:12:22 pm »
Lovely  :love: :pig: :love: Congratulations to you and to Meg  :-*
I think you're right about the second time being the successful one - she wouldn't have 'stood' if she was in pig, she'd have been off like the clappers  ;)
Start getting your farrowing kit ready Sally
Guinness or sweetheart stout (for meg ! 2 cans minimum, just in case she gets a bit stressed - it's cheaper and easier to get hold of than oxytocin)
Some iodene or purple spray
Sterile scissors (in case you have to cut any cords)
Strong thread (for tying off bleeding umbilical cords - rare, but better to be safe)
I give my piglets a squirt of 'litter care' from SfS (just gives them a boost in the first few hours) it's a concentrated colostrum/vitamin potion - there are other similar things available most places.
Old towels, or sheets (so you can help the piglets dry off quicker - more necessary when it's cold)
Heatlight and farrowing rails/creep area (if you want to use them - some folks don't)
Lubricant (it's unlikely you'll need to intervene, but again - better safe than sorry, pigs just about always pick the most inconsiderate/inconvienient time to farrow)
Broad spectrum anti-biotic (in case you do have to 'go in' - it's always worth giving a jab to make sure any possible infection is sorted)
Bin bags for collecting up the afterbirth so that you can burn or dispose of it.
Bottle of wine/thermos of tea for those hours spent sitting beside the pen waiting for it to happen  ;)
And a camera so you can capture the moment and share it with all of us !  ;D
I think that's about it - if I think of anything else I'll let you know  ::) ;)
There will be loads of folks who don't use all this kit - but I'm a definte 'belt & braces' type of person !
Congratulations again,
Karen x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:17:09 am »
Thanks all for the congrats and good wishes.  And many thanks Karen for the advice, I have bookmarked that post!

There will be questions, don't worry I shall not hesitate to ask!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 11:20:28 am »
Many congratulations Sally,
Entirely agree with HH about being prepared, makes all the diference, the worst part is the waiting once she gets to her due date, we have a litter due end of July from one of our gilts so fingers crossed too.
Bestest
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS