Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling to Butchers  (Read 4572 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Selling to Butchers
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:22:08 am »
I've been approached by a local butcher who wants to buy whole carcasses from me.

I breed Pedigree GOS pigs so need to make sure I'm not underselling the meat, but of course understand that I won't get a retail price for the pork.

I've worked out my costs, and was wondering what others charge in a similar situation?

Please feel free to PM me.

Many thanks.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Selling to Butchers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:36:33 am »
Farmers' Weekly has recent deadweight averages around 152ppk.  So assuming your butcher is wanting them at 60kg deadweight, s/he'd pay £90+ for a commercial animal at the same weight.  Hopefully s/he'd expect to pay more for rare breed / free range - but I've no idea how much more.  My local butcher will have the conversation with me if I can get the back fat down to nearer 12mm - I'm sure I can improve on 20mm but 12mm doesn't sound enough to keep a free range pig warm!  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:12:15 am »
Many thanks Sally.

I'm at around 15 mm back fat, which the butcher is delighted with  (the pigs are 15mm, I'm a lot more!!!lol)

He's having 2, they are off to the abattoir tomorrow......I think I'll take a trip into the butcher and see just how much I can get him to go up.  :)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »
Hi Julie,
I sell some of my Berkshires to a local butcher and he pays £2-50 a kilo which I am quite happy with. More would be nice but it suits us both at the moment. ;)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:25 pm »
Many thanks Berkshire Boy.  Do you pay the kill costs?

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 03:35:38 pm »
Bit of a disputed area,  ::) I say he should pay and he says I should so we split it down the middle.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:03:57 pm »
Sounds like a good way to deal with the kill costs then BB  :)

I'm going to let him have these two at £2.40 per kilo with me paying the kill costs.  I'm hoping when he sees what excellent pork it is I can negotiate a bit higher  :) :)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:13:22 pm »
Does that cover your costs? Doesn't seem like a lot of profit for a lot of hard work...

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:56:11 pm »
I'm going to let him have these two at £2.40 per kilo with me paying the kill costs. 

is that per kilo live weight or dead?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:18:07 am »
No, not much profit at all, but I have quite a few meat pigs ready to go at the moment.  I need to clear a lot of my pens to do some maintenance work over the summer, so helps me at this point. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS