Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly pigs  (Read 9084 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Poorly pigs
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:10:21 am »

One of my 11 week olds was off her food yesterday, this morning she came out of the ark but wont eat and another came over to the trough but she is staggering and wont eat. have called the vet but my vets are not very piggie so any suggestions would be welcome
Anne

HappyHippy

Re: Poorly pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:43:33 am »
Hiya Daisy's Mum, Sorry to hear they're not so good  :(

Are there any other symptoms ?
Do they have a temperature ?
How are their poos ?
What feed do you use ?
Is there anything they could have gotten access to which would be poisonous ?
Any coughing, sneezing, skin problems ?

It could be dehydration, especially if it's been hot where you are - but there are a lot of other things it could be too depending on the other symptoms.

HTH
Karen x

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:50:38 am »

Thanks Karen, vet has been they have temperatures of 104 and 106, there poos are normal and they have constant access to water, have seen them drinking so ruled out dehydration. Vet has given them a long acting antibiotic with some steroid, he has also given the other 2 antibiotic injection as well.
The 1 which is staggering has just munched her way through a banana, so fingers crossed now.
They are fed on bocm grower and are still on the same batch they were on when i got them.
Anne

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:05:53 am »
Great to hear they're eating again - it's always a good sign  ;)

102.5 is 'normal' temp, so they're up a wee bit but the antibiotic will hopefully help with that.
The reason I asked about the food was because of the issues with mould in Farmgate feed (made by BOCM Pauls) affecting some pigs. Next time you go out to feed them get your nose in the bag - if it smells faintly of coconut there may be a problem with it.
Keep an eye on all of them and let us know if anything changes.
Fingers crossed for you all
Karen  :-*

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:58:44 am »
glad they seem to be picking up! :)

we had a batch of mouldy 'farmgate' feed a few weeks back but i was lucky to notice it as soon as i opened the bag!! :-\ it was all green and smelly!..........we use badminton pig nuts now!they always seem top quality and the pigs love them.x. ;D
'can't rain all the time!'

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

Well one of the pigs is back to normal but the one who has been unwell since Friday is now staggering and not eating anymore than a mouthful of feed, she tooka slice of apple and ate that but would not have any more, it's a worry as the weight has really dropped off her in 3 days.
Anne

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 07:17:38 pm »
I think it's time to get the vet back out again.
It may just be a case of needing another anti-biotic to fully kill the infection (if it is an infection) I'd maybe try seperating her from the others if possible too - especially if they're improving. It could be that she's not getting a chance to eat when she feels like it (I know that when it's hot, as it is now - I don't eat til much later when it's a bit cooler) or she could be getting bullied.
Is she still drinking ? Was she wormed before you got her ?
The other thing I'd suggest is getting in touch with the breeder who you got them from and see if any other pigs from the litter are having the same problems, they may be able to offer a bit more advice or come and have a look at them ?
If you want to email me a photo of her (kkjmckay@aol.com) I'll send some reiki - it can't do any harm  ;)
Karen x

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:19:59 pm »
Don't like the sound of it. You could ask the Dick Vet School in Edinburgh for advice, or ask your vet to ask them.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 12:11:54 pm »

Well we are making no progress with the smallest of the pigs, she is is in a seperate stable as the others were pushing at her to get her to move which she is now unable to do. Vet(yet another one) sent a different antibiotic and some metacam which we gave her last night, she is hungry and ate some porridge with honey which I made her this morning she is also drinking from a dogs water bowl as she can only lie on her side, she gets quite distressed if I try to get her more upright. I hate the idea that she may be suffering but vets just don't seem to know what it is, has anyone else come across anything like this?
Anne

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:07:58 pm »
I can't say I have  ???
I'd definately get onto a 'pig' vet asap though. You could try phoning Holmefield Farm Services (they're a medical supply co. but have pig vets on their staff) or as TD suggested Royal Dick vets at Edinburgh - they'll have much more experience.
But email me a photo of her (or I can pm you my mobile no is you want to send a picture message instead) I'll get reiki heading her way if you want.

Here's a link to the pig site's symptom checker if you want to have a go with it
http://www.thepigsite.com/diseaseinfo/problemsolver.php

Definately need a pig vet - NOW  ;)
Karen x

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:04:57 pm »

At last managed to get hold of a pig vet who "thinks" it is most probably a spinal abscess, she has had all antibiotics necessary and has now just to go on metacam and be turned every 6 hrs or so. Karen if you could pm me with your mobile number I will send you a photo, tried to post one on here but am too stressed to work out how to downsize it  :(
Anne

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:43:13 pm »
Has this vet acctually seen your pig?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 10:01:16 pm »
Has this vet acctually seen your pig?
No he is simply going by what I and the other vets who have seen her are telling him. 
Anne

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 08:45:47 pm »

Making no progress with pig she is on her side and cant get up at all, I turn her every 6 hrs and feed and water her, she is eating well and drinking also peeing and pooing. She is always pleased to see me when I go in but just cannot get up. Vets want me to give her till after the weekend to see if there is any improvement, I don't think that there will be but we have to give her a chance she is on Metacam injections so not in pain.
Anne

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »
How terrible for you & the poor little girl, this must be an awful experience, I do so hope she pulls through.  I really hope the vets can do something for her between them & I'm sure Karen's reiki will help with the recovery.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS