Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: why so many regs?  (Read 7302 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
why so many regs?
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »
Why do you have so many regs over there?

Is it due to the geographics of a small island?  Disease spreads quickly and before long it's everywhere?

I am not trying to be snarky...just wondering.

deepinthewoods

Re: why so many regs?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:10:14 pm »
yes. yes. and stealth taxes.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:13:31 pm »
That, YankeeGirl, is a question the rest of us have been pondering for years  :D

You might have a point about disease spreading quickly. But also we have a type of civil servant who just loves rules and obscure regulations. Maybe they're an abberation from our scholastic tradition? Anywhere else they'd have been left to starve or shot!

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »
it is just the way the EU works         2 people sit down and discuss something you have 2 opinions               20+ people sit down and discuss the same subject you have 20+ inputs and all want there contribution to the subject        in America if you get food poisoning you sue the one responsible      in Britain there is an army of people to prevent you getting food poisoning and regulations that must be adhered to :farmer:

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:17:45 pm »
Do the regulators seek you out?  Could a person just defy the regs?  Are the penalties stiff?

I take perverse satisfaction in sticking it to the "man"....  ie....the thrill of making moonshine in the garage!

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:26:25 pm »
I understand regs on large scale operations.

I don't understand regs for the hobby farmer that gives her eggs away to family and friends and sells the pigs to a few neighbors.  Yes, one person sick is not good...but there is such a thing as "buyer beware" when you are dealing with a limited # of people and they can come to your barn and see the conditions.

Just blabbing on in print...I'm not trying to start a war between the regulation adhereants and the folks just soldier ing on.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:31:26 pm »
I think anyone who wants to defy the regulations could do so  :-\
I'm a real rebel too (tell me not to do something and just watch me go  ;))
BUT although they may seem daft, too much hassle, too expensive to stick to, a pointless waste of time just to keep folks in government jobs (in some, but not all cases)  ::) they are there for a reason. To keep us free from disease outbreaks (UK has big import/export markets that would be financially damaged by this) and to protect the public who buy and eat the pork produced.
In terms of penalties - I'm sure they could slap a major fine, a ban from keeping animals and I suppose they could (in theory) throw you in jail, but for me sticking to the regulations and best practice guidelines lets me get the absolute best from my pigs and minimises the chances of me being responsible for the next disease outbreak. I wouldn't want that to be my fault.  :'( :'( :'(
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 07:37:28 pm »
that is another aspect to Britain in France the farmers stick together and sod the authorities     in Britain the opposite is true everybody does there own thing                now moonshine i could go that(the last American hero) :farmer:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:44:36 pm »
There are to many, I thought we were out the other side of Foot and Mouth and farmers trying to get some sort of respect back but the goverment seems addiment to hold everyone back, we import far to much which will breed disease as we type this, Lamb at present seem to hold a good value only because poor New Zealand has had so many bush fires, our lamb is georgious we as a small Ireland need to support our farmers not slap them with so many rules and paper work at one point I had pigs, sheep and cattle and the paper work was just silly.  Sorry but I feel very strongly about this.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 01:57:23 am »
In terms of penalties - I'm sure they could slap a major fine, a ban from keeping animals and I suppose they could (in theory) throw you in jail, but for me sticking to the regulations and best practice guidelines lets me get the absolute best from my pigs and minimises the chances of me being responsible for the next disease outbreak. I wouldn't want that to be my fault.  :'( :'( :'(

I think it is the case that subsidy payments could be withheld or stopped for serious breaches.  This is a pretty big stick to a farmer. 

It's kind of got to the point where farmers only go along with the increasingly burdonsome, irksome and usually frankly utterly pointless (since it never ever actually addresses the original problem - and of course is never ever deregulated even when the original problem is no longer relevant) regulations because otherwise the subsidy payments could be stopped.  For sure none of us would be electronically tagging our sheep if it weren't for that.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:44:00 am »
If the government would just call a halt on the imports of "cheap" overseas meat, eggs, milk etc. I don't suppose these regs. would be needed. (but what do I know ::))

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 08:28:03 am »
after seeing a program about what you americans feed your pigs i suggest you look at your system before commenting on ours.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 08:52:16 am »
I agree with shetland paul, if it wasn't for all the rules and regulations we wouldn't have the safest meat in the world. You can't get away from the fact that our animals are reared and slaughtered in the best conditions possible and it's something we should be proud of. Yes the Brits love nothing more than rules and regs but if the end product is worth it surely that is good.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:59 am »

I understand regs on large scale operations.

I don't understand regs for the hobby farmer that gives her eggs away to family and friends and sells the pigs to a few neighbors.  Yes, one person sick is not good...but there is such a thing as "buyer beware" when you are dealing with a limited # of people and they can come to your barn and see the conditions.
Just blabbing on in print...I'm not trying to start a war between the regulation adhereants and the folks just soldier ing on.

shetlandpaul:  As noted above, I am specifically asking about regs for folks with backyard or hobby farms.  You don't need to school me on the conditions of our meat producing factories.  I'm already very much aware of the conditions.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 12:10:04 pm »
the same regs apply to both       although some backyard setups are not on the radar :(
to an outsider the rules seem very strict         once you are involved with them (the regs) it is just a mater of course or good practise     in the same way seat belts are law and helmets on bikes are in your best interest
it also gives satisfaction when jobsworth comes to visit and you have no advisories or recommendations to carry out :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS